David L. Ferrera
David L. Ferrera is a partner in Nutter’s Litigation Department and chairs Nutter’s Product Liability practice group. He is a member of Nutter's Executive Committee.
Fortune 500 medical device and pharmaceutical companies rely on David’s expertise and experience in presenting complex product liability issues to lay juries and courts. Through his work with company research and development engineers and outside expert witnesses, David is versed in many fields of medical science, including orthopaedics, biomechanics, biomaterials, epidemiology, and pathology. In-house and outside counsel in Canada, Europe, and Asia-Pacific frequently seek David’s counsel on litigation issues affecting their multi-national clients.
Notable Experience and Client Impact
- Global representation of a manufacturer of prosthetic hip, knee, and spinal implants
- New England representation for manufacturers of such diverse products as natural rubber latex gloves, contact lenses, contraceptive patches, DES, pediatric painkillers, quinolone antibiotics, migraine medication, and other pharmaceuticals
- Management of local counsel and third party discovery vendors, including preparation and analysis of large document productions in an era of electronic discovery
- Successfully trying before a state court jury a real estate contract dispute for a nationally known paper company
- Successfully trying before a state court jury a land damage claim for a residential homeowner
- Successfully representing a paper mill in an arbitration hearing involving breach of a construction contract
- Successfully assisting the Special Assistant Attorney General representing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in connection with all claims arising from the alleged “sick building” status of the former home of the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (the Ruggles Center).
Frequently sought by the media for his in-depth knowledge on issues involving drug and medical device litigation, David has appeared on New England Cable News (NECN) and has published articles in The Boston Globe, The National Law Journal, and Mass High Tech. He has co-authored numerous legal works, including a chapter entitled “Cross Examination” in the MCLE textbook Massachusetts Courtroom Advocacy, and is often called upon to speak at programs on legal issues to business professionals and in-house counsel.
David continues his leadership outside the firm through his involvement in public service initiatives throughout Greater Boston. He served as a Trustee and Treasurer of the Boston Bar Foundation, the charitable affiliate of the Boston Bar Association (BBA) that awards over a million dollars a year to legal services grantee organizations, completing his term in 2016.
David is an invitation-only member of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), and currently serves as the Vice-Chair of CLE -- Annual Meeting for the Drug, Device & Biotech Committee. He is also a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
- Representation of a manufacturer of prosthetic knee, hip and spinal implants in cases around the country
Ongoing representation of a manufacturer of prosthetic knee, hip and spinal implants in lawsuits around the country including so-called “mass tort” multi-district litigation (MDL) proceedings and other coordinated national litigation.
- Representation of major corporations in cases involving diverse pharmaceutical and medical device products
Ongoing representation of major corporations in cases involving diverse pharmaceutical and medical device products such as contact lenses, contraceptive patches, pediatric painkillers, quinolone antibiotics, and migraine medication in lawsuits in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
- Obtained favorable settlement in connection with all claims arising from the alleged “sick building” status
Successfully assisted the Special Assistant Attorney General representing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in connection with all claims arising from the alleged “sick building” status of the former home of the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (the Ruggles Center).
- Obtained favorable jury verdict in real estate contract dispute
Successfully trying before a state court jury a real estate contract dispute for a nationally known paper company.
- Obtained favorable jury verdict in land damage claim
Successfully trying before a state court jury a land damage claim for a residential homeowner.
- Obtained favorable arbitration ruling
Successfully represented a paper mill in an arbitration hearing involving breach of a construction contract.
News & Insights
- David Ferrera Named Vice Chair of CLE - Annual Meeting for the Drug, Device and Biotechnology Committee of the International Association of Defense Counsel08.07.2018
- David Ferrera and Robyn Maguire Analyze How 3-D Printing Leaps Ahead of Product Liability Law in Bloomberg BNA09.28.2016
- Forty-four Nutter Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Edition of Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars10.30.2015
- Nutter Partner David Ferrera Accepted as Member of International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)08.11.2015
- Nutter co-hosts reception with five other law firms at Defense Research Institute’s 30th Annual Drug and Medical Device Seminar05.15.2014
- October 2013
- October 2012
- David Ferrera moderates ABA panel "Current Developments in Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Litigation"11.11.2010
- David Ferrera co-authors Massachusetts chapter of ABA publication “Federal Jurisdiction Based on Removal: A 50-State Survey”04.09.2009
- The Boston Globe, 03.06.2009
- The Boston Globe, 10.31.2008
- Mass High Tech, 03.28.2008
- The National Law Journal, 03.17.2008
- David Ferrera to Speak on Emerging Legal Services Trends at the Boston Bar Foundation Society of Fellows04.03.2018
- Nutter co-hosts reception at Defense Research Institute’s 31st Annual Drug and Medical Device Seminar05.18.2015
- David Ferrera presents at American Bar Association’s “Current Issues in Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Litigation”11.19.2012
- 03.20.2018 | Legal Advisory
- Writing for Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, David Ferrera, Ali Holdway, and Melanie Woodward Examine Key 2017 Product Liability Decisions02.21.2018 | Article
- 01.31.2018 | Legal Update
- Writing for Medical Design & Outsourcing, David Ferrera and Melanie Woodward Analyze Product Liability Considerations in Autonomous Robotic Surgery01.26.2018 | Article
- July 2017
- Writing for Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, David Ferrera, Andrew McArdell, and Alison Holdway Analyze Notable 2016 Federal and State Product Liability Decisions02.23.2017 | Article
- Writing for Bloomberg BNA Electronic Commerce & Law Report, David Ferrera Analyzes Liability Risk of Mobile Medical AppsFebruary 2017 | Article
- 01.19.2017 | Legal Update
- Writing for Inside Counsel, David Ferrera and Robyn Maguire Analyze Legal Issues Generated by Additive Manufacturing10.17.2016 | Article
- David Ferrera and Robyn Maguire Analyze 3D Printing in the Health Care Industry in Additive Manufacturing Today08.25.2016 | Article
- 3D Printing: Health Care Miracle, Product Liability Nightmare, or Both? Insights from Nutter’s David Ferrera and Robyn Maguire08.08.2016 | Legal Update
- Drug and Medical Device Product Liability + Globalization = Potential Costly International Mass Tort Litigation: Insights from Nutter’s David Ferrera03.15.2016 | Legal Update
- 02.29.2016 | Legal Update
- 01.30.2015 | Legal Update
- Law360 publishes “Product Liability In 2014: What Did And Didn’t Happen?” by David Ferrera and Alison Casey12.22.2014 | Article
- 11.19.2014 | Legal Update
- October 2014 | Article
- For the Defense publishes “What to Do When Your U.S. Mass Tort Goes International” by David Ferrera and Dawn CurrySeptember 2014 | Article
- 07.02.2014 | Legal Update
- 01.27.2014 | Legal Update
- 04.29.2013 | Article
- 08.23.2011 | Article
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2012-2019
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2010-2016
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars 2005-2008
- Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2011-2015
Education & Admissions
New York University School of Law, J.D.
College of the Holy Cross, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha Sigma Nu
David is an invitation-only member of the International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) and a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
The Best Lawyers in America, 2012-2019
Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2010-2017
Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2005-2008
Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2011-2015