Jeremy Halpern is a partner and co-chairs Nutter’s Emerging Companies Group. Jeremy also co-leads the firm’s Food and Beverage group. Jeremy’s practice focuses on emerging companies, private equity, venture capital and angel financing transactions, mergers and acquisitions, commercial transactions, executive and team compensation matters, and general start-up support for high growth companies in technology, life sciences, and the food and beverage industry.
Concurrently, Jeremy is a member of the board of The Capital Network, a Boston-based nonprofit serving entrepreneurs seeking high growth capital, serves on the Advisory Board and the Executive Education Committee of the MBI Health Program, and on the Advisory Board of Pintley, a MassChallenge 2011 finalist company providing marketing solutions to the craft brewers and bars, and The Bowdoin Group, a premier executive recruitment firm. He continues to serve as a mentor at MassChallenge and LearnLaunch, an expert advisor at the Innovation Hub at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and as a speaker, reviewer, judge, or mentor for MIT HackingMedicine, HackingPediatrics, the Mass Tech Transfer Center, the Mass Life Science Center, M2D2, BranchFood, Startup Institute, and the UCLA/Harvard Food Law and Policy Conference.
Previously, Jeremy served as the Managing Director of Edible Ventures, an angel group investing in food and beverage brands, and on the Board and Investment Committee of MassVentures, an early stage venture capital fund geared toward technology companies in Massachusetts. Jeremy taught entrepreneurial leadership at Tufts University for nine years and co-founded a company in the mobile technology synchronization space.
- Zagster, Inc.
Nutter advised Zagster, Inc., the nation’s leading provider of modern, flexible bike share services, in securing $15 million in growth capital.
Nutter represented Kombrewcha (the first alcoholic Kombucha) in its sale to a strategic acquirer.
- Deep River Snacks
Nutter advised Deep River Snacks, makers of premium better-for-you snacks based in Connecticut, in its sale to Arca Continental, the second-largest Coca-Cola bottler in Latin America and parent company of Wise Snacks, Bokados, and Inalecsa. Nutter had been long time general counsel to Deep River Snacks, and had advised the company in its ongoing commercial dealings, intellectual property matters, and its venture capital transactions.
- Wandering Bear Coffee
Nutter advised Wandering Bear Coffee, a cold brew coffee maker, in its recently completed $8 million Series A equity round of financing.
News & Insights
- Jeremy Halpern Presents at the Fourth Annual Harvard-UCLA Food Law and Policy Conference, Reports The Harvard Crimson10.16.2017
- International experts gather to present expertise, insights on complex legal strategies for emerging companies and start-ups, 05.01.2015
- Acceleration2013 Event Recap: Conference Provides Insight Into Challenges and Opportunities for Early Stage Life Science Companies in the Current Funding Environment and Post ACA12.10.2013
- The Boston Business Journal quotes Jeremy Halpern in “Young med device firms face tough funding climate”04.27.2012
- Jeremy Halpern and Will Bernat to Present at The Capital Network’s ‘Fundraising Bootcamp for Early Stage Entrepreneurs’11.08.2017
- Jeremy Halpern and Will Bernat Present ‘Negotiating Commercial Agreements for High Growth Food & Beverage Entrepreneurs’04.04.2017
- Nutter Sponsors the Society of Physician Entrepreneurs Greater Boston Chapter’s ‘Bootstrapping a MedTech Startup’03.21.2017
- Jeremy Halpern Presents at The Capital Network’s ’Build a Cap Table and Understand the Dilution Impact of Early-Stage Investment’07.14.2016
- Jeremy Halpern presents at Startup Stir’s “Getting Connected − Resources You Need for Startup Success”02.16.2016
- Jeremy Halpern serves as faculty at MCLE’s “Fundamentals of Raising Startup Capital Through the Internet”06.18.2015
- Jeremy Halpern presents “Understand the Dilution Impact of Early-Stage Investment” for The Capital Network06.05.2015
- Jeremy Halpern serves as keynote speaker at Boston University Review of Banking and Financial Law Symposium “Innovation Today: The Legal Challenges of Funding Startups”02.27.2015
- Jeremy Halpern presents “Build a Cap Table and Understand the Dilution Impact of Early-Stage Investment” for The Capital Network01.13.2015
- Jeremy Halpern presents at MassIT & New Urban Mechanics Live Stream “How to Pitch Your Innovation to Gov”09.02.2014
- Jeremy Halpern presents at “Beyond the Crowd: The Whole JOBS Act Implications for Entrepreneurs & Investors”08.12.2014
- Jeremy Halpern moderates M2D2 Educational Series 2014 “Lean Product Development for Medical Devices”04.17.2014
- Jeremy Halpern presents at The Capital Network (TCN) Expert Lunch “Understanding the Dilution Impact of Early Stage Capital”06.28.2013
- June 18, 2013
- Jeremy Halpern presents at The Capital Network’s “Funding Options Deep Dive – High Growth Companies”09.12.2012
- Jeremy Halpern presents at WorkBar’s “Lunch & Learn: Addressable Markets for High Growth Businesses seeking Angel/Venture Capital”08.24.2012
- Jeremy Halpern presents at EFactor’s “Perfect Your Pitch: Learn how to improve your pitch from investors”04.26.2012
- Jeremy Halpern presents at XPX Boston Roundtable “Unraveling the Mysteries of Venture Capital and Private Equity”02.29.2012
- 10.18.2017 | Legal Update
- Writing for Food Processing, Jeremy Halpern Analyzes Commercial Agreements in the Food and Beverage Industry04.25.2017 | Article
- Food and Beverage Companies: Get the Dish on Commercial Agreements: Insights from Nutter’s Jeremy Halpern10.25.2016 | Legal Update
- 06.01.2016 | Legal Advisory
- 03.04.2016 | Legal Update
- Spring 2015 | Article
- 01.30.2015 | Legal Advisory
- 12.04.2014 | Article
- November 2014 | Article
- October 2014 | Article
- September 2014 | Article
- 09.08.2014 | Article
- Xconomy.com publishes Nutter follow up on Acceleration conference, “2014 Trends in Early-Stage Life Sciences Investment” by Jeremy Halpern02.20.2014 | Article
- December 2012 | Article
- 11.13.2012 | Article
- October 2012 | Article
- Five Things That Create Personal Liability for Officers and Directors of Corporations in Massachusetts05.11.2012 | Legal Advisory
- 02.23.2012 | Article
- 02.21.2012 | Article
- Boston Business Journal “40 Under 40” 2012
Education & Admissions
University of California, Los Angeles, J.D.
University of California, Berkeley, B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Jeremy serves as a mentor at MassChallenge and LearnLaunch, an expert advisor at the Innovation Hub at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and as a speaker, reviewer, judge or mentor for MIT HackingMedicine, HackingPediatrics, the Mass Tech Transfer Center, the Mass Life Science Center, M2D2, BranchFood and Startup Institute.
Boston Business Journal “40 Under 40,” 2012