Meghan E. Kelly
Meghan E. Kelly is an associate in Nutter’s Corporate and Transactions Department and a member of the firm’s Emerging Companies practice group. Clients rely on Meghan on a wide range of matters, including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital and angel financing transactions, and corporate governance. As a member of the Emerging Companies practice group, Meghan assists early stage clients from planning and formation, to realizing the business goals needed to secure third party investment, to achieving a successful exit. Meghan works with clients in a broad range of industries, including food and beverage, life sciences, consumer/retail, and biotechnology.
Notable Experience and Client Impact
Mergers and Acquisitions
Meghan advises buyers and sellers in a variety of transactions. Recent transactions include:
- Representation of Powerhouse Dynamics, Inc. in its acquisition by merger by Middleby Corporation.
- Representation of Palisade Corporation in its recapitalization by Thompson Street Capital Partners (TSCP).
- Representation of Veracross, LLC in its majority recapitalization by BV Investment Partners.
- Representation of Shawmut Corporation in its joint venture with the automotive headliner and specialty industrial fabrics business of Glen Raven Technical Fabrics LLC.
- Representation of Lallemand USA, Inc. in its acquisition of the Hutchinson, MN yeast manufacturing operations of Ohly.
- Representation of Madico, Inc., one of the world’s leading manufacturers of automotive, solar, safety, and security films, in its acquisition of select assets of ClearPlex Corporation, an established supplier of protection films based in Draper, UT.
- Representation of Collaborative Consulting, LLC in its acquisition by CGI Group Inc. (NYSE: GIB) (TSX: GIB.A), a leading provider of information technology and business processing services, through its wholly-owned U.S. subsidiary, CGI Technologies and Solutions Inc.
- Representation of Deep River Snacks in its sale to Arca Continental.
Meghan works with emerging companies to secure investment and build their brands. Recent transactions include:
Representation of Cambridge Crops (d/b/a Mori) in a $12 million Series A financing led by Acre Venture Partners with participation from The Engine, Prelude Ventures, Refactor Capital and Closed Loop Ventures.
- Representation of Cambridge Crops in connection with its $4 million Series Seed financing led by The Engine and Refactor Capital.
- Representation of Cali’flour Foods, the developer and manufacturer of low-carb, gluten-free cauliflower products, in a Series A financing round led by Sunrise Strategic Partners, with participation from CircleUp Growth Partners.
- Representation of The Living Apothecary, a probiotic water kefir maker based in Oakland, CA, in a $1.4 million financing round led by L.A. Libations and Venice Brands.
- Representation of Demers Food Group Inc. in a round of financing led by Arbel Growth Partners LP, the private equity firm led by Carl Lee, the former president and CEO of Snyder’s Lance, Inc.
- Representation of Wandering Bear Coffee, a cold brew coffee maker, in its $8 million Series A equity round of financing.
Meghan is active in the Boston community, serving on the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce’s City Awake Leadership Council, as a mentor for Boston University School of Law students, on the planning committee for the annual Toast to St. Jude event, and as a member of the Women’s Bar Association.
She gained previous legal experience serving as an intern at the Office of the Attorney General in Augusta, ME and working as a pro bono intern at Pine Tree Legal Assistance.
During law school, Meghan was a note development editor for the Boston University Law Review and president of the Student Government Association. She was an advisor for the 1L Student Advising Program, a welcomer for the BU Law Orientation, a Legal Writing Fellow, and chair of the Alumni Committee of the Women’s Law Association. Upon graduating, Meghan received the Sylvia Beinecke Robinson Award for her significant contribution to the life of the School of Law.
Prior to law school, Meghan worked as a legal intern for the Royal Agricultural Society of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia.
- Cambridge Crops
Nutter represented Cambridge Crops (d/b/a Mori) in a $12 million Series A financing led by Acre Venture Partners with participation from The Engine, Prelude Ventures, Refactor Capital and Closed Loop Ventures.
- Ce3, Inc.
Nutter served as legal counsel to Ce3, Inc., a full-service CRO focused on providing early phase oncology clinical development services to the biotechnology industry, in connection with its acquisition by Catalyst Clinical Research, a clinical development organization providing highly customizable clinical research solutions to the global biopharmaceutical industry.
Nutter served as legal counsel to Gravyty, a market-defining provider of fundraiser enablement solutions powered by artificial intelligence, in connection with a $21 million investment from K1 Investment Management, a leading investment firm focusing on high-growth enterprise software companies.
- Strategic Cyber LLC
Nutter advised Strategic Cyber LLC in connection with its acquisition by HelpSystems, a Minnesota-based IT software company.
- Location, Inc.
Nutter advised Location, Inc., a leader in geographic data sciences and predictive, location-based analytics for businesses across the U.S. and Canada, in connection with its acquisition by CoreLogic (NYSE: CLGX), a leading global property information, analytics, and data-enabled services provider.
- Cali’flour Foods
Nutter advised Cali’flour Foods, the developer and manufacturer of low-carb, gluten-free cauliflower products, in a Series A financing round led by Sunrise Strategic Partners, with participation from CircleUp Growth Partners.
Nutter advised Agilyx, a leader and pioneer in chemically recycling difficult-to-recycle mixed waste plastic streams into high value low carbon circular feedstocks and fuels, on the formation of a joint venture with AmSty, a leading integrated producer of polystyrene and styrene monomer. The joint venture, Regenyx LLC, will be dedicated to fully recycling post-consumer polystyrene materials back to new polystyrene products.
- Powerhouse Dynamics
Nutter represented Powerhouse Dynamics, a software company based in Newton, MA, when it was acquired by merger by Middleby Corporation, a publicly traded commercial and residential cooking and industrial process equipment company based in Elgin, IL. Powerhouse Dynamics uses cloud-based controls and analytics to deliver enterprise-wide operational efficiency, food safety, and energy efficiency solutions to portfolios of small commercial facilities, including restaurants, convenience stores, retailers, and more.
- Veracross LLC
Represented Veracross LLC, a provider of software and services to independent primary and secondary schools, in its majority recapitalization by BV Investment Partners, a middle-market private equity firm focused on the business services, software, and IT services sectors.
- Lallemand USA, Inc.
Nutter represented Lallemand USA, Inc. in its acquisition of the Hutchinson, MN yeast manufacturing operations of Ohly.
- Palisade Corporation
Nutter represented Palisade Corporation, an Ithaca, New York-based provider of risk modeling and decision analysis software, in its recapitalization by Thompson Street Capital Partners (TSCP), a private equity firm based in St. Louis, MO.
- The Living Apothecary
Nutter advised The Living Apothecary, a probiotic water kefir maker based in Oakland, CA, in a $1.4 million financing round led by L.A. Libations and Venice Brands.
- Shawmut Corporation
Nutter represented Shawmut Corporation, a developer of high-performance composites, in its joint venture with the automotive headliner and specialty industrial fabrics business of Glen Raven Technical Fabrics LLC, a global provider of innovative technical fabric solutions.
- Deep River Snacks
Nutter advised Deep River Snacks, makers of premium better-for-you snacks based in Connecticut, in its sale to Arca Continental, the second-largest Coca-Cola bottler in Latin America and parent company of Wise Snacks, Bokados, and Inalecsa. Nutter had been long time general counsel to Deep River Snacks, and had advised the company in its ongoing commercial dealings, intellectual property matters, and its venture capital transactions.
- Lallemand USA, Inc.
Nutter advised Lallemand USA, Inc., a U.S. subsidiary of the global yeast manufacturing company, in its asset acquisition of a yeast manufacturing plant and business based in North Dakota.
- First Commons Bank, N.A.
Nutter advised First Commons Bank, N.A., in its merger with Brookline Bank, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Brookline Bancorp, Inc. (NASDAQ: BRKL). The total value of the transaction was approximately $55.958 million.
Nutter represented OSRAM, one of the world’s leading lighting manufacturers with headquarters in Munich, Germany, in its acquisition of Digital Lumens Inc., a Boston-based company that specializes in industrial Internet of Things (IoT) solutions.
- Commerce Bancshares Corp.
Nutter represented Commerce Bancshares Corp. and its subsidiary, Commerce Bank & Trust Company, in its merger with Berkshire Hills Bancorp. Inc. (NYSE: BHLB), in an all-stock transaction valued at $209 million.
- Collaborative Consulting, LLC
Nutter represented Collaborative Consulting, LLC in its acquisition by CGI Group Inc. (NYSE: GIB) (TSX: GIB.A), a leading provider of information technology and business processing services, through its wholly-owned U.S. subsidiary, CGI Technologies and Solutions Inc.
- Madico, Inc.
Nutter advised Madico, Inc., one of the world’s leading manufacturers of automotive, solar, safety, and security films, in its acquisition of select assets of ClearPlex Corporation, an established supplier of protection films based in Draper, Utah.
- Admune Therapeutics LLC
Nutter advised Admune Therapeutics LLC in its sale to Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research.
- CIRCOR International, Inc.
Nutter represented CIRCOR International, Inc. (NYSE: CIR), a leading provider of valves and other highly engineered products for markets including oil and gas, power generation, and aerospace and defense, in its acquisition of Critical Flow Solutions (CFS) for $210 million.
- Baril Corporation
Nutter served as legal counsel to Baril Corporation, a leading medical specialty manufacturer of infection prevention, wound care, clinical chemistry, patient monitoring, and medical and surgical consumable products, in its acquisition by TEAM Technologies, Inc., a leading North American healthcare specialty manufacturer focused on oral and dental care and medical end markets.
- Copley Equity Partners
Nutter served as legal counsel to Copley Equity Partners, a Boston-based private investment firm, in its investment to recapitalize, and facilitate the merger of, Aethon Aerial Solutions and Flight Evolved.
News & Insights
- Nutter Represents Copley Equity Partners in its Investment into Aethon Aerial Solutions and Flight Evolved10.06.2020 | Press Release
- 08.28.2020 | Press Release
- 08.06.2020 | Press Release
- 03.20.2020 | Press Release
- 03.11.2020 | Press Release
- 01.23.2020 | Press Release
- 08.09.2019 | Press Release
- 05.02.2019 | Press Release
- 12.06.2018 | Press Release
- 10.31.2018 | Press Release
- 08.29.2018 | Press Release
- 04.12.2018 | Media Coverage
- 02.07.2018 | Media Coverage
- 09.22.2017 | Press Release
- 09.05.2017 | Press Release
- 05.24.2017 | Press Release
- Female Founders in Food & Beverage: Successful Journeys of Three Women Leading High Growth Food and Beverage Companies10.10.2019
- 11.24.2020 | Legal Update
- 10.29.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 10.29.2020 | Legal Update
- 09.30.2020 | Legal Update
- 08.27.2020 | Legal Update
- 08.20.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 07.30.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 07.29.2020 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: OCC Authorizes National Banks and Federal Savings Associations to Offer Cryptocurrency Custody Services07.28.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 07.23.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 07.22.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 07.02.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 06.29.2020 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Acting OCC Comptroller Announces Plans to Release a National Charter for Payments Companies06.26.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 06.17.2020 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: New Acting OCC Comptroller Continues to Prioritize Innovation as OCC Proposes Rules on Digitizing Banking06.08.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 06.04.2020 | Legal Advisory
- Fintech in Brief: OCC Issues Final ‘Valid When Made’ Rule on Permissible Interest on Transferred Loan06.02.2020 | Legal Advisory
- Fintech in Brief: CFPB Issues No-Action Letter Templates for Affordable Small Dollar Lending and Mortgage Loss Mitigation05.29.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 05.28.2020 | Legal Update
- Writing for Beverage Business Insights, Jeremy Halpern and Meghan Kelly Analyze Changes to Convertible Debt05.18.2020 | Article
- 05.13.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 05.07.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 04.29.2020 | Legal Update
- Effects of COVID-19 on the M&A Market: Working Capital Adjustments; Due Diligence; Representations; Post-Signing Considerations04.15.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 04.10.2020 | Legal Update
- 04.10.2020 | Legal Advisory
- Steps Private Equity and Venture Capital-Backed Companies Should Consider Taking for PPP Eligibility04.08.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 04.06.2020 | Legal Update
- 04.03.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 03.31.2020 | Legal Update
- Can Portfolio Companies of Private Equity and Venture Capital Funds Take Advantage of COVID-Related Stimulus Programs?03.30.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 03.27.2020 | Legal Update
- Special Edition Nutter Bank Report: Federal Reserve Announces Extraordinary Second Wave of New Initiatives in Response to the Global Pandemic03.24.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.22.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 03.21.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 03.19.2020 | Legal Advisory
- Fintech in Brief: FDIC Signals Pending Decisions on ILC Applications and Proposes New Rules for ILCs and their Parent Companies03.18.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 03.18.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.14.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.13.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.12.2020 | Legal Update
- 02.26.2020 | Legal Update
- 02.13.2020 | Legal Update
- 01.29.2020 | Legal Update
- 12.23.2019 | Legal Update
- 12.18.2019 | Legal Update
- 12.05.2019 | Legal Update
- 11.26.2019 | Legal Update
- 11.19.2019 | Legal Update
- 10.31.2019 | Legal Update
- 10.25.2019 | Legal Update
- 10.25.2019 | Legal Update
- 09.30.2019 | Legal Update
- 09.04.2019 | Legal Update
- 08.30.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Chairwoman Waters Outlines House Financial Services Committee’s Fall 2019 Agenda: Financial Innovation Remains Priority08.26.2019 | Legal Update
- 08.12.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Federal Reserve Announces Plan to Develop A Real-Time Payment and Settlement Service08.07.2019 | Legal Update
- 07.29.2019 | Legal Update
- 06.27.2019 | Legal Update
- 06.26.2019 | Legal Update
- 05.30.2019 | Legal Update
- 05.22.2019 | Legal Update
- 05.03.2019 | Legal Update
- 05.01.2019 | Legal Update
- 04.30.2019 | Legal Update
- 04.19.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: The Clearing House Announces Adoption of Business Principles for Operation of the RTP® Network04.10.2019 | Legal Update
- 04.02.2019 | Legal Update
- 03.28.2019 | Legal Update
- 03.27.2019 | Legal Update
- 02.28.2019 | Legal Update
- 02.19.2019 | Legal Update
- 02.13.2019 | Legal Update
- 01.31.2019 | Legal Update
- 01.30.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Ranking Member McHenry Calls for House Financial Services Committee Hearing on Financial Innovation01.24.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Chairwoman Waters Outlines House Financial Services Committee’s Agenda: Priorities Include Financial Innovation01.22.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Issues to Consider in Connection with the CFPB’s Proposed Product Sandbox and Policy Changes for No-Action Letters01.08.2019 | Legal Update
- 12.21.2018 | Legal Update
- 12.20.2018 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection Proposes Product Sandbox and Policy Changes for No-Action Letters12.17.2018 | Legal Update
- 11.30.2018 | Legal Update
- 10.31.2018 | Legal Update
- 09.28.2018 | Legal Update
- 08.30.2018 | Legal Update
- 07.31.2018 | Legal Update
- 06.29.2018 | Legal Update
- 05.31.2018 | Legal Update
- 04.27.2018 | Legal Update
- 03.29.2018 | Legal Update
- 02.28.2018 | Legal Update
- 01.31.2018 | Legal Update
- 12.22.2017 | Legal Update
- 11.30.2017 | Legal Update
- 10.31.2017 | Legal Update
- 09.29.2017 | Legal Update
- 08.31.2017 | Legal Update
- 07.31.2017 | Legal Update
- 06.29.2017 | Legal Update
- 05.31.2017 | Legal Update
- 04.28.2017 | Legal Update
- 03.30.2017 | Legal Update
Meghan is active in the Boston community, serving on the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce’s City Awake Leadership Council, as a mentor for Boston University School of Law students, and as a member of the Women’s Bar Association.
Education & Admissions
Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
Colby College, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Meghan was a note development editor for the Boston University Law Review and president of the Student Government Association. She was an advisor for the 1L Student Advising Program, a welcomer for the BU Law Orientation, a Legal Writing Fellow, and chair of the Alumni Committee of the Women’s Law Association.
Upon graduating law school, Meghan received the Sylvia Beinecke Robinson Award for her significant contribution to the life of the School of Law.