Erin E. Whitney
Erin Whitney is an associate in the Tax Department. Businesses, nonprofit organizations, and individuals rely on Erin to advise them on a variety of domestic, state, and international tax matters.
Erin counsels charitable and other nonprofit organizations, and their affiliates, on issues related to their tax-exempt and nonprofit status, including formation, governance, compliance, and lobbying. She also regularly advises donors in developing and optimizing their charitable giving goals.
Erin frequently works with businesses on the tax aspects of corporate reorganizations and mergers and acquisitions. She advises companies, executives, and boards on the regulatory complexities of executive compensation, including tax laws governing equity compensation and golden parachute arrangements.
Notable Experience and Client Impact
- Structuring and overseeing mergers and acquisitions of nonprofit organizations
- Overseeing the tax aspects of corporate reorganizations and mergers and acquisitions
- Regularly counseling local, regional, and national organizations regarding governance, best practices, and board operations
- Representing charitable clients before the MA Attorney General’s Nonprofit Organizations/Public Charities Division
- Counseling individual donors on the pros and cons of private foundations, supporting organizations, donor-advised funds, and other charitable giving vehicles
Erin is active in the Boston community, serving as a member of the Women’s Bar Association and on the planning committee for the annual Toast to St. Jude event.
In addition to her summer associate work at Nutter, Erin’s professional experience includes interning for the Honorable Maureen E. Walsh of the Holyoke District Court in Holyoke, Massachusetts and interning with a law firm in Massachusetts.
During law school, Erin worked as a student attorney in the Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic, where she assisted low-income taxpayers in understanding and resolving their tax issues. She served as a contributing editor of the Michigan Journal of Law Reform, was a member and mentor of the Women Law Students Association, an admissions volunteer, a torts and contracts tutor, and an orientation leader. In her third year of law school, Erin was awarded a “Student Excellence in Tax” award from the State Bar of Michigan Section of Taxation for her academic performance in various tax courses.
Nutter served as legal counsel to Gravyty, a market-defining provider of fundraiser enablement solutions powered by artificial intelligence, in connection with a $21 million investment from K1 Investment Management, a leading investment firm focusing on high-growth enterprise software companies.
- Strategic Cyber LLC
Nutter advised Strategic Cyber LLC in connection with its acquisition by HelpSystems, a Minnesota-based IT software company.
- Location, Inc.
Nutter advised Location, Inc., a leader in geographic data sciences and predictive, location-based analytics for businesses across the U.S. and Canada, in connection with its acquisition by CoreLogic (NYSE: CLGX), a leading global property information, analytics, and data-enabled services provider.
- Innovation Associates
Nutter served as legal counsel to Innovation Associates, the market-leading provider of high-volume pharmacy automation technology and software solutions to the retail, hospital, government, and mail order pharmacy markets, in connection with a consortium of investors led by Greg Wasson, the former Walgreens Boots Alliance CEO, acquiring a majority stake to scale the business and enhance its pharmacy automation offerings.
- Centreville Bank
Nutter served as sole outside legal counsel to Centreville Bank in connection with its agreement to acquire Putnam Bank and its holding company, PB Bancorp, Inc., in a transaction valued at approximately $115.5 million.
- New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
Nutter created the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE), which is now the federally recognized regional accreditor of post-secondary institutions for the six New England states. NECHE assumed the business functions of the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education, previously managed by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
NECHE’s scope includes the accreditation and pre-accreditation of institutions of higher education in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont that award bachelor’s, master’s, and/or doctoral degrees and associate degree-granting institutions in those states that include degrees in liberal arts or general studies among their offerings, including the accreditation of programs offered via distance education within these institutions.
- Cali’flour Foods
Nutter advised Cali’flour Foods, the developer and manufacturer of low-carb, gluten-free cauliflower products, in a Series A financing round led by Sunrise Strategic Partners, with participation from CircleUp Growth Partners.
- DTM Packaging and Custom Automation
Nutter served as legal advisor to DTM Packaging and Custom Automation, a leader in machinery manufacturing and re-manufacturing, in its acquisition by The Massman Companies, a Minnesota-based team of machinery and technology companies.
- Leader Bank, N.A. and Leader Bancorp, Inc.
Nutter served as sole outside legal counsel to Leader Bank, N.A. and its parent company Leader Bancorp, Inc. in connection with the recent spin-out of ZSuite Technologies.
- Fisher International, Inc.
Nutter served as sole legal advisor to Fisher International, Inc., a firm supporting the pulp and paper industry with business intelligence and strategy consulting services, in its acquisition by Battery Ventures, a global technology-focused investment firm.
- Mide Technology Corporation
Nutter served as sole legal advisor to Midé Technology Corporation, a U.S. company which provides engineering services including problem solving through modeling and analysis, electronic prototyping, commercial research and development, and forensic engineering services, in its acquisition by Paris-based Hutchinson S.A., which manufactures industrial, automotive, and consumer rubber products such as hoses, tubing, bumpers, spoilers, sealants and adhesives, rubber gloves, baby car seats, and sponges.
- CLASS and LifeLinks, Inc.
Nutter served as legal advisor in the merger of LifeLinks, Inc., a human services agency headquartered in Chelmsford, MA, and CLASS, a human services agency based in Lawrence, MA.
- Pilgrim Bank
Nutter represented Pilgrim Bank, a member of the Hometown Financial Group, MHC, in its acquisition of Abington Bank. The bank will be headquartered in Abington, Massachusetts and will operate as an independent subsidiary of Hometown Financial Group.
- Veracross LLC
Represented Veracross LLC, a provider of software and services to independent primary and secondary schools, in its majority recapitalization by BV Investment Partners, a middle-market private equity firm focused on the business services, software, and IT services sectors.
- Lallemand USA, Inc.
Nutter advised Lallemand USA, Inc. when it acquired Scott Laboratories Inc. (USA) and Scott Laboratories Ltd. (Canada), privately-held companies specializing in value-added products for the North American wine, craft brewing, and distilled spirits industries.
- Lallemand USA, Inc.
Nutter represented Lallemand USA, Inc. in its acquisition of the Hutchinson, MN yeast manufacturing operations of Ohly.
- Boston Biomedical Associates, LLC
Nutter represented Boston Biomedical Associates, LLC, a full service medical device, biotech, and pharmaceutical clinical research organization (CRO), in its acquisition by Factory CRO USA Group, LLC, a global leader of specialization in medical device trials.
- Career Resources Corporation
Nutter served as legal advisor to Career Resources Corporation, a human services agency headquartered in Haverhill, MA, in connection with its merger with Fidelity House Human Services, a human services agency based in Lawrence, MA.
- PeoplesBancorp, MHC
Nutter represented PeoplesBancorp, MHC, the holding company for PeoplesBank, in the private placement of $40 million in fixed-to-floating rate subordinated notes due 2028.
- Palisade Corporation
Nutter represented Palisade Corporation, an Ithaca, New York-based provider of risk modeling and decision analysis software, in its recapitalization by Thompson Street Capital Partners (TSCP), a private equity firm based in St. Louis, MO.
- Shawmut Corporation
Nutter represented Shawmut Corporation, a developer of high-performance composites, in its joint venture with the automotive headliner and specialty industrial fabrics business of Glen Raven Technical Fabrics LLC, a global provider of innovative technical fabric solutions.
- Epoxy Technology Inc.
Nutter advised Epoxy Technology, Inc., a leading manufacturer of high-performance specialty epoxy, UV, and hybrid adhesives, in its acquisition by Arsenal Capital Partners, a leading private equity firm that invests in middle-market specialty industrials and health care business services companies.
- Hometown Financial Group Inc.
Nutter represented Hometown Financial Group, Inc., the bank holding company of bankESB (Easthampton, MA) and bankHometown (Oxford, MA), in connection with its acquisition of Pilgrim Bank, a Massachusetts-chartered co-operative bank headquartered in Cohasset, MA, and its bank holding company, Pilgrim Bancshares, Inc. (OTCMKTS: PLRM).
- PeoplesBancorp, MHC
Nutter represented PeoplesBancorp, MHC, a Massachusetts mutual holding company, and the bank holding company of PeoplesBank, a Massachusetts-chartered savings bank, both of Holyoke, Massachusetts, in connection with its acquisition of First Suffield Financial, Inc., a Connecticut corporation and the bank holding company of The First National Bank of Suffield, a national bank, both of Suffield, Connecticut. The total value of the transaction was approximately $60 million.
- MNB Bancorp
Nutter advised MNB Bancorp, the parent company of The Milford National Bank and Trust Company, a national bank, both of Milford, Massachusetts, in its acquisition by Independent Bank Corp. (NASDAQ Global Select Market: INDB). Independent is the parent company of Rockland Trust Company. The total value of the transaction was approximately $54 million.
- Deep River Snacks
Nutter advised Deep River Snacks, makers of premium better-for-you snacks based in Connecticut, in its sale to Arca Continental, the second-largest Coca-Cola bottler in Latin America and parent company of Wise Snacks, Bokados, and Inalecsa. Nutter had been long time general counsel to Deep River Snacks, and had advised the company in its ongoing commercial dealings, intellectual property matters, and its venture capital transactions.
- First Commons Bank, N.A.
Nutter advised First Commons Bank, N.A., in its merger with Brookline Bank, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Brookline Bancorp, Inc. (NASDAQ: BRKL). The total value of the transaction was approximately $55.958 million.
Nutter represented OSRAM, one of the world’s leading lighting manufacturers with headquarters in Munich, Germany, in its acquisition of Digital Lumens Inc., a Boston-based company that specializes in industrial Internet of Things (IoT) solutions.
- Commerce Bancshares Corp.
Nutter represented Commerce Bancshares Corp. and its subsidiary, Commerce Bank & Trust Company, in its merger with Berkshire Hills Bancorp. Inc. (NYSE: BHLB), in an all-stock transaction valued at $209 million.
- Zagster, Inc.
Nutter advised Zagster, Inc., the leading provider of private and public-private bike sharing systems, when it raised $10 million in a Series B round of funding led by Edison Partners, a leading growth equity capital firm.
- Madico, Inc.
Nutter advised Madico, Inc., one of the world’s leading manufacturers of automotive, solar, safety, and security films, in its acquisition of select assets of ClearPlex Corporation, an established supplier of protection films based in Draper, Utah.
- Baril Corporation
Nutter served as legal counsel to Baril Corporation, a leading medical specialty manufacturer of infection prevention, wound care, clinical chemistry, patient monitoring, and medical and surgical consumable products, in its acquisition by TEAM Technologies, Inc., a leading North American healthcare specialty manufacturer focused on oral and dental care and medical end markets.
- Copley Equity Partners
Nutter served as legal counsel to Copley Equity Partners, a Boston-based private investment firm, in its investment to recapitalize, and facilitate the merger of, Aethon Aerial Solutions and Flight Evolved.
- Eastern Bankshares, Inc.
Nutter served as legal counsel to Eastern Bank Corporation, the mutual holding company of Eastern Bank, in its conversion to a fully public stock holding company known as Eastern Bankshares, Inc. (NASDAQ Global Select Market: EBC).
News & Insights
- Nutter Represents Eastern Bankshares, Inc. in Historic Initial Public Offering: Largest Full Conversion by U.S. Bank10.19.2020 | Press Release
- Nutter Represents Copley Equity Partners in its Investment into Aethon Aerial Solutions and Flight Evolved10.06.2020 | Press Release
- 08.28.2020 | Press Release
- 03.20.2020 | Press Release
- 03.11.2020 | Press Release
- 01.23.2020 | Press Release
- Nutter Represents Innovation Associates in Consortium Investment Led by Former Walgreens Boots Alliance CEO Greg Wasson12.17.2019 | Press Release
- 11.25.2019 | Press Release
- 09.13.2019 | Press Release
- 08.28.2019 | Press Release
- 08.21.2019 | Press Release
- 07.24.2019 | Press Release
- 07.10.2019 | Press Release
- Nutter Represents Boston Biomedical Associates, LLC in its Acquisition by Factory CRO USA Group, LLC01.15.2019 | Press Release
- 01.08.2019 | Press Release
- 12.06.2018 | Press Release
- 08.29.2018 | Press Release
- 08.27.2018 | Press Release
- 07.27.2018 | Press Release
- 07.17.2018 | Press Release
- Nutter Represents MNB Bancorp in Proposed Merger with Independent Bank Corp., Reports American Banker05.30.2018 | Press Release
- 05.30.2018 | Press Release
- 02.07.2018 | Media Coverage
- 09.22.2017 | Press Release
- 09.05.2017 | Press Release
- 06.28.2017 | Media Coverage
- 05.24.2017 | Press Release
- 01.06.2017 | Press Release
- 09.30.2020 | Legal Update
- 08.27.2020 | Legal Update
- 07.29.2020 | Legal Update
- 06.29.2020 | Legal Update
- 06.17.2020 | Legal Update
- 05.28.2020 | Legal Update
- 04.29.2020 | Legal Update
- Effects of COVID-19 on the M&A Market: Working Capital Adjustments; Due Diligence; Representations; Post-Signing Considerations04.15.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 04.15.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 04.10.2020 | Legal Update
- 04.06.2020 | Legal Update
- 04.03.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 03.31.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.28.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 03.27.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 03.27.2020 | Legal Update
- Special Edition Nutter Bank Report: Federal Reserve Announces Extraordinary Second Wave of New Initiatives in Response to the Global Pandemic03.24.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.20.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 03.19.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 04.17.2018 | Legal Advisory
- 12.21.2017 | Legal Advisory
- 11.18.2016 | Legal Advisory
- Generation to Generation, 09.28.2017
- Executive Comp Exchange, 11.29.2016
Education & Admissions
New York University School of Law, LL.M.
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude
Union College, B.S., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
During law school, Erin worked as a student attorney in the Low Income Taxpayer Clinic and received a “Student Excellence in Tax” award from the State Bar of Michigan Section of Taxation for her academic performance.
Erin’s professional experience includes interning for the Honorable Maureen E. Walsh of the Holyoke District Court in Holyoke, Massachusetts.