Daniel W. Hartman
Daniel W. Hartman is an associate in Nutter’s Litigation Department and a member of the firm’s Banking and Financial Services group. Dan represents a broad range of financial institutions in examinations, investigations, and related litigation. In addition, Dan’s practice includes advising banks, credit unions, Fintechs, and other companies on complex financial regulatory, corporate, and policy matters.
Dan has represented financial institutions, companies, and individuals in private litigation and before the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Federal Reserve, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and Congress, as well as state and territory attorneys general.
Dan also counsels domestic and international banks, trust companies, Fintechs, and insurance companies on federal and state regulatory and legislative issues, including mergers and acquisitions, debt collection, fair lending, credit reporting, state money transmitter licensing, and bank partnerships.
Supervision and Enforcement
- Represented a major credit card issuer in CFPB and DOJ investigation and related state litigation regarding ECOA and state-level fair lending issues.
- Represented a large national bank in CFPB and OCC investigations into potentially unauthorized bank account openings and other sales practices.
- Represented a national mortgage servicer in CFPB investigation into the loss mitigation application process and RESPA and UDAAP compliance.
- Represented a national student loan servicer in multiple regulatory inquiries into federal repayment programs.
- Represented a national debt collector in FTC investigation into FDCPA compliance in student loan collections.
Regulatory Counseling and Transactions
- Advised major trust company and asset management firm with OCC approval process for merger transactions and primary office relocations.
- Counseled a coalition of commercial finance Fintech companies on federal and state regulatory and legislative issues related to marketplace lending, small business lending, and merchant cash advance.
- Advised a national mortgage lender on reforms to TILA and RESPA policies & procedures following compliance review.
- Advised consumer lending company on FCRA compliance relating to furnishing consumer information and using consumer reports.
Dan is an editor of Fintech in Brief, an electronic publication of Nutter’s Banking and Financial Services Group that analyzes legal and policy developments in the financial services and financial technology industries and provides insight into how those developments impact and shape the regulation of those industries.
Dan maintains an active pro bono practice, where he focuses on civil rights issues relating to education and the First Amendment. Dan also serves as a member of the Massachusetts Advisory Committee to the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights.
Prior to joining Nutter, Dan was an associate in the Financial Institutions Group of the DC office of an international law firm. During law school, Dan served on the editorial board of the Cornell Journal of Law & Public Policy. He also interned at the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Financial Stability.
Before law school, he was a legal analyst at Barclays Capital in New York, and interned with the White House Office of Strategic Initiatives.
News & Insights
- Dan Hartman Appointed to the Massachusetts Advisory Committee of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights08.06.2019 | Announcement
- 03.31.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.27.2020 | Legal Update
- Special Edition Nutter Bank Report: Federal Reserve Announces Extraordinary Second Wave of New Initiatives in Response to the Global Pandemic03.24.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.19.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 03.18.2020 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: FDIC Signals Pending Decisions on ILC Applications and Proposes New Rules for ILCs and their Parent Companies03.18.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 03.14.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.13.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.12.2020 | Legal Update
- 02.26.2020 | Legal Update
- 02.13.2020 | Legal Update
- 01.29.2020 | Legal Update
- Writing for Banker & Tradesman, Tom Curry, Jay Cabral, and Dan Hartman Pen Article on Alternative Data01.26.2020
- 12.23.2019 | Legal Update
- 12.18.2019 | Legal Update
- 12.05.2019 | Legal Update
- 12.02.2019 | Article
- 11.26.2019 | Legal Update
- 11.19.2019 | Legal Update
- 10.31.2019 | Legal Update
- Writing for Banker & Tradesman, Tom Curry, Jay Cabral, and Dan Hartman Analyze the CFPB’s Steps Toward Financial Innovation10.27.2019 | Article
- 10.25.2019 | Legal Update
- 10.25.2019 | Legal Update
- 09.30.2019 | Legal Update
- 09.04.2019 | Legal Update
- 08.30.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Chairwoman Waters Outlines House Financial Services Committee’s Fall 2019 Agenda: Financial Innovation Remains Priority08.26.2019 | Legal Update
- Writing for Banker & Tradesman, Tom Curry, Jay Cabral, and Dan Hartman Analyze Technology and Banking Charters08.19.2019 | Article
- 08.12.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Federal Reserve Announces Plan to Develop A Real-Time Payment and Settlement Service08.07.2019 | Legal Update
- 07.29.2019 | Legal Update
- 06.27.2019 | Legal Update
- 06.26.2019 | Legal Update
- 05.30.2019 | Legal Update
- 05.22.2019 | Legal Update
- 05.03.2019 | Legal Update
- 05.01.2019 | Legal Update
- 04.30.2019 | Legal Update
- 04.19.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: The Clearing House Announces Adoption of Business Principles for Operation of the RTP® Network04.10.2019 | Legal Update
- 04.02.2019 | Legal Update
- 03.28.2019 | Legal Update
- 03.27.2019 | Legal Update
- Writing for Banker & Tradesman, Tom Curry, Jay Cabral, and Dan Hartman Analyze the Current Status of Fintech Regulation03.26.2019 | Article
- 02.28.2019 | Legal Update
- 02.19.2019 | Legal Update
- 02.13.2019 | Legal Update
- 01.31.2019 | Legal Update
- 01.30.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Ranking Member McHenry Calls for House Financial Services Committee Hearing on Financial Innovation01.24.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Chairwoman Waters Outlines House Financial Services Committee’s Agenda: Priorities Include Financial Innovation01.22.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Issues to Consider in Connection with the CFPB’s Proposed Product Sandbox and Policy Changes for No-Action Letters01.08.2019 | Legal Update
- 12.21.2018 | Legal Update
- 12.20.2018 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection Proposes Product Sandbox and Policy Changes for No-Action Letters12.17.2018 | Legal Update
- 11.30.2018 | Legal Update
- 10.31.2018 | Legal Update
- 09.28.2018 | Legal Update
Education & Admissions
Cornell Law School, J.D.
Tufts University, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Prior to joining Nutter, Dan was an associate in the Financial Institutions Group of the DC office of an International Law Firm. During law school, Dan served on the editorial board of the Cornell Journal of Law & Public Policy. He also interned at the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Financial Stability.
In the Community
On July 19, 2019, the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights appointed Dan to a four-year term as a member of its Massachusetts Advisory Committee. The Massachusetts Advisory Committee advises the Commission about civil rights matters in the Commonwealth.