Deborah J. Manus
Deb Manus is Nutter's managing partner and a member of the Executive Committee.
Deb focuses her practice on estate and trust administration and estate planning for high net worth individuals and families. She has extensive experience settling complex estates, helping clients structure large, tax-efficient gifts and implementing other planning techniques to reduce transfer taxes. Deb also assists clients with pre-nuptial planning and helps clients accomplish their philanthropic goals, advising on lifetime and testamentary gifts to public charities, private foundations and charitable trusts. The firm’s Trusts and Estates practice is ranked in top tiers in Boston and nationally by U.S. News & World Report/Best Lawyers.
Deb serves as trustee of a significant number of private trusts. She is also a principal of Nutter Investment Advisors, LLC, which provides investment advisory services to trusts, individuals, foundations and retirement plans.
Deb is active in many business and civic organizations, including the following:
- Boston Bar Association, Treasurer
- Boston Bar Association Council; the BBA's governing board
- Boston Bar Association Trusts and Estate Steering Committee
- Ad Hoc Committee on the Massachusetts Spousal Elective Share, formed by the Boston Bar Association, Massachusetts Bar Association and Women's Bar Association to reform the Massachusetts elective share statute. In 2014, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly recognized Deb's critical role in bringing the bar associations to consensus on a bill to reform the state's current elective share statute (after eight years of work) by selecting her as a 2013 Lawyer of the Year.
- Boston Probate and Estate Planning Forum, member
- Boston Bar Foundation Society of Fellows
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce 2014 Executive Leadership Institute
- Massachusetts Women Forum
- Nantucket Maria Mitchell Association, president and member of the Board of Directors. The Maria Mitchell Association operates a natural science museum, aquarium and two observatories on Nantucket and offers natural science related programming throughout the year to people of all ages.
- New England Aquarium, Board of Overseers
- Cornell Law Association, former Executive Committee Member
Deb is also a frequent contributor to professional publications related to her practice area. She co-authored “Strategies For Paying The Estate Tax That is Due” in MCLE’s A Practical Guide to Estate Planning. She is also a contributing author of MCLE’s Massachusetts Probate Manual (Chapter 2, “Pre Probate Considerations”) and MCLE’s Massachusetts Basic Practice Manual (Chapter 4, “The Probate and Administration of Estates in Massachusetts”).
News & Insights
- Nutter Managing Partner Deb Manus Named A ‘2017 Women Who Mean Business’ Honoree by the Boston Business Journal10.24.2017
- Nutter Managing Partner Deb Manus Selected as a ‘2017 Top Women of Law Honoree’ by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly09.11.2017
- Massachusetts Bar Association to Present Nutter with Access to Justice Award in Recognition of Firm’s Pro Bono Contributions04.27.2016
- Forty-four Nutter Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Edition of Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars10.30.2015
- October 2013
- October 2012
- Bloomberg Law Reports, 09.06.2011
- Deborah Manus authors chapter on probate and administration of estates in Massachusetts in MCLE’s publication “Massachusetts Basic Practice Manual”02.24.2011
- Bloomberg Law Reports, 12.06.2010
- Deborah Manus contributing author to MCLE’s publication “A Practical Guide to Estate Planning in Massachusetts”March 2009
- 12.18.2015 | Legal Advisory
- 07.10.2013 | Legal Advisory
- 11.14.2012 | Legal Advisory
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly "2017 Top Women of Law" honoree
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2006-2017
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2018
- BBJ's Women who Mean Business Honoree, 2017
Education & Admissions
Cornell Law School, J.D., cum laude
Bates College, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
In the Community
Deb is active in numerous business and civic organizations. In 2014, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly recognized Deb's critical role in bringing the bar associations to consensus on a bill to reform the state's current elective share statute (after eight years of work) by selecting her as a 2013 Lawyer of the Year.
BBJ's Women who Mean Business Honoree, 2017
Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly "2017 Top Women of Law" honoree
Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2006-2017
The Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2018