Michael E. Kushnir
Michael E. Kushnir is a partner in Nutter’s Corporate and Transactions Department. He has extensive experience in representing public and private companies in complex transactions and general corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions, venture capital and private equity transactions, business planning and organization, and business succession planning. Mike regularly acts as outside general legal counsel to early stage and mature companies in a broad range of industries, including technology, software, food service and hospitality, manufacturing, retailing, and professional services.
Corporate Notable Experience
- Regularly represents national and local food manufacturers, co-packers, and distributors as their external general counsel.
Mergers and Acquisitions Notable Experience:
- Represented privately held specialty food manufacturer in the sale of all of its assets for $150,000,000.
- Represented national tradeshow logistics company in a $120,000,000 merger and recapitalization of the company.
- Represented privately held clothing manufacturer in the sale of all of its assets for $25,000,000.
- Represented a privately held electronic parts manufacturer in the sale of all of its assets to a publicly traded company corporation for $17,000,000.
- Represented privately held massage chair vending business in the sale of all of its assets for $16,500,000.
- Represented privately held diagnostic product manufacturer in the sale of all of its assets for $13,500,000.
- Represented privately held advertising and marketing corporation in the sale of its stock to publicly-traded corporation for $13,000,000.
- Represented publicly-traded software corporation in the sale of all of its assets to publicly-traded corporation for $11,000,000.
- Represented a privately held specialty food manufacturer and distributor in the sale of all of its assets for $8,000,000.
- Represented privately held chain of daycare centers in the sale of all of its assets for $5,500,000.
- Represented privately held specialty food services corporation in the acquisition of all of the assets of a competitive specialty food service corporation for $3,500,000.
- Represented a private investor group in the acquisition of a multi-unit restaurant chain located throughout the Northeast.
- Represented a venture backed privately held security technology company in the acquisition of multiple competitors.
- Represented privately held operator of turn-key, workforce housing camps and accommodation solutions in the sale of all its equity securities for $600,000,000.
- Represented privately held sales and marketing company serving the food, pharmaceutical, nutritional, personal care, biotech, and industrial markets of North America in the sale of all of its equity securities for $105,000,000.
- Represented privately held healthcare logistics company in the sale of all of its assets for $30,000,000.
- Represented privately held fiber-optic bandwidth infrastructure service providers in the sale of all of its equity securities for $45,000,000.
- Represented one of the largest Planet Fitness franchisees in the sale of all of its assets for $30,000,000, as well as in several strategic acquisitions.
- Represented privately held provider of freshly prepared, high quality meals for the business dining and education markets in the sale of all of its equity securities for $16,000,000.
- Represented a publicly traded LED lighting company in several strategic acquisitions.
Venture Capital and Private Equity Notable Experience:
- Represented privately held corporation in a $20,000,000 private debt and equity financing transaction.
- Represented privately held corporation in a $15,000,000 private debt and equity financing transaction.
- Represented privately held corporation in a $10,000,000 Series D private equity financing transaction.
- Represented privately held corporation in a $6,500,000 private debt and equity financing transaction, and the refinancing of its existing debt and equity structure.
- Represented a Boston based "Angel" Fund in connection with its Series A private equity financing.
- Represented numerous private equity firms in the acquisition of several strategic acquisitions for their respective portfolio companies.
A leader in the legal and business communities, Mike is a member of the American, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire Bar Associations. He is involved with the 128 Venture Forum, Merrimack Valley Venture Forum, and the Massachusetts Restaurant and Business Alliance.
Passionate about supporting the American Heart Association (AHA), Mike has been the top fundraiser in the Lawyers Have Heart 5K for the past four years. Mike regularly speaks on behalf of the AHA, and in 2009 he delivered the keynote address at the AHA’s New Hampshire heart gala. In addition, Mike has served on the Board of Governors of Temple Emanuel and has coached youth sports in North Andover.
Prior to joining Nutter, Mike was a partner in the Boston office of a prominent New England-based law firm.
- Tuscan Village
Nutter represented its client, Tuscan Village, in connection with a $60 million construction loan for the development of South Village, part of the Tuscan Village project.
- PollyDot, Inc.
Nutter advised PollyDot, Inc., a large Planet Fitness franchisee in Massachusetts, in connection with the sale of all of its clubs.
- Cedar’s Mediterranean Foods, Inc.
Nutter advised Cedar’s Mediterranean Foods, Inc., a family-owned national Middle Eastern food manufacturer and distributor, in its acquisition of Brekki, a manufacturer of overnight oats for healthy breakfast options.
- Agilyx Corporation
Nutter served as legal counsel to Agilyx Corporation, the leader in chemical recycling of post-use plastics back into polymers, chemicals, and low carbon fuels, in connection with securing growth financing from a diverse set of European investors led by Carnegie Investment Bank.
Nutter served as sole legal advisor to miEdge, the premier provider of lead generation, data analytics, and prospecting solutions specifically designed for the insurance industry, in its acquisition by Zywave, the leading insurtech provider powering agency growth.
- Mide Technology Corporation
Nutter served as sole legal advisor to Midé Technology Corporation, a U.S. company which provides engineering services including problem solving through modeling and analysis, electronic prototyping, commercial research and development, and forensic engineering services, in its acquisition by Paris-based Hutchinson S.A., which manufactures industrial, automotive, and consumer rubber products such as hoses, tubing, bumpers, spoilers, sealants and adhesives, rubber gloves, baby car seats, and sponges.
- Waveguide Inc.
Nutter represented Waveguide Inc., a New Hampshire-based company that specializes in outside plant services for the telecommunications industry, in its merger with Maicom LLC, a provider of critical infrastructure needs.
Nutter advised Agilyx, a leader and pioneer in chemically recycling difficult-to-recycle mixed waste plastic streams into high value low carbon circular feedstocks and fuels, on the formation of a joint venture with AmSty, a leading integrated producer of polystyrene and styrene monomer. The joint venture, Regenyx LLC, will be dedicated to fully recycling post-consumer polystyrene materials back to new polystyrene products.
- Group RHI
Nutter represented Group RHI, a rapidly growing player in the retirement services industry, in its acquisition of Pension Studio, a third party retirement plan administrator with offices in Florida and New England.
- Group RHI
Nutter represented Group RHI, a rapidly growing player in the retirement services industry, in its acquisition of Billings and Company, LLC, an Iowa-based recordkeeping and qualified plan administration company.
- Boston Biomedical Associates, LLC
Nutter represented Boston Biomedical Associates, LLC, a full service medical device, biotech, and pharmaceutical clinical research organization (CRO), in its acquisition by Factory CRO USA Group, LLC, a global leader of specialization in medical device trials.
- Group RHI
Nutter represented Group RHI, a rapidly growing player in the retirement services industry, in its acquisition of America’s 401k, LLC, a Dallas, TX-based, independent third party administrator focused on serving small businesses in offering qualified retirement plans to their employees, and Retirement Investment Administrators, LLC, a recordkeeping and qualified plan administration company also based in Dallas, TX.
- T3 Expo, LLC
Nutter represented T3 Expo, LLC, the general contractor for creating shareable moments™ for tradeshows and corporate events, in its recent financing with MB Capital Fund IV, LLC.
News & Insights
- 04.06.2020 | Press Release
- 02.12.2020 | Press Release
- 01.27.2020 | Press Release
- 01.21.2020 | Press Release
- 12.05.2019 | Press Release
- 07.24.2019 | Press Release
- 05.31.2019 | Press Release
- 05.02.2019 | Press Release
- 02.19.2019 | Press Release
- 02.04.2019 | Press Release
- Nutter Represents Boston Biomedical Associates, LLC in its Acquisition by Factory CRO USA Group, LLC01.15.2019 | Press Release
- Nutter Represents Group RHI in its Acquisition of America’s 401k, LLC and Retirement Investment Administrators, LLC12.13.2018 | Press Release
- 12.11.2018 | Press Release
- 08.27.2018 | Press Release
- 06.11.2018 | Press Release
- Nutter Welcomes Four Lawyers to Its Corporate and Transactions Department, reports the Boston Business Journal06.11.2018 | Media Coverage
- Moving Forward to the "New Normal": Guidance for Massachusetts Restaurants Reopening for Outdoor Dining on June 806.09.2020 | Legal Advisory
- Effects of COVID-19 on the M&A Market: Working Capital Adjustments; Due Diligence; Representations; Post-Signing Considerations04.15.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 04.03.2020 | Legal Advisory
- Writing for SmallBizDaily, Mike Kushnir Outlines Succession Planning Tips for Family-Owned Businesses07.09.2019 | Article
- 04.04.2019 | Insights
Education & Admissions
Northeastern University School of Law, J.D.
Brandeis University, B.A., cum laude
- New Hampshire