Beth H. Mitchell
Beth H. Mitchell is a partner in Nutter's Real Estate Department and Co-chair of the Commercial and Real Estate Finance practice group. She has extensive experience in complex real estate transactions, locally, regionally, and nationally, and through economic booms and recessions.
Beth represents financial institutions, investors, developers, and other entities in various types of real estate projects. She handles financings, acquisitions, dispositions, leases, joint ventures, foreclosures, and troubled debt restructurings. Her practice encompasses, among other things, downtown office buildings, suburban office parks, mixed-use developments, hotels, health care institutions, retail complexes, industrial properties and not-for-profit uses.
Beth’s representative transactions include:
- Representation of insurance company on multiple large portfolio loans, totaling $550 million and secured by industrial properties located throughout the United States, including the sale of a portion of the debt to a third-party investor.
- Representation of a consortium of banks and insurance companies on approximately $345 million of construction/permanent financings for mixed-use residential and retail projects within commercial condominiums in the Fenway neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts.
- Representation of various insurance companies on financings of offices, laboratories, apartment buildings and hotels on long-term ground leases in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Representation of lenders and special servicers in various troubled debt restructurings and foreclosures involving commercial real estate properties throughout the United States.
- Representation of a borrower/developer in a joint venture with an institutional investor and the construction/permanent financing regarding the development of the former Spags site in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts.
- Representation of a borrower/developer in a joint venture with a preferred equity investor and the construction loan financing for a residential condominium project along the Rose Kennedy Greenway in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Representation of a real estate investor/developer on joint venture agreements and real estate investments in commercial development projects (including hotels) in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
- Representation of a real estate developer on the construction loan financing of a hotel within an overall $230 million mixed-use development structured as multiple ground lease parcels in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Representation of a real estate developer in the creation of a reciprocal easement agreement among various ground lease parcels for the development of a mixed-use residential, garage and hotel development in the Seaport district of Boston, Massachusetts.
- Representation of a real estate investment company on joint venture agreements and investments in projects (including student housing) in California, Montana and North Carolina.
- Representation of non-profit institutions in the sale of various ground lease parcels in Boston, Massachusetts, including for the development of affordable housing projects.
- Representation of landlords in commercial lease transactions, including ground leases, for properties in Massachusetts.
- Representation of several banks, as tenants, in leasing bank branch locations and offices in Massachusetts, Florida and California.
Beth is a fellow of the American College of Real Estate Attorneys (ACREL) and the American College of Mortgage Attorneys (ACMA). Beth is currently serving as an officer of ACMA and is a member of the Board of Governors of ACREL. She is a member of The Abstract Club and a past president of the Real Estate Finance Association (REFA). Beth served on the Greater Boston Real Estate Board for several years.
She is a member of the Boston Bar Association, a former member of the Real Estate and Environmental Law Curriculum Advisory Committee of Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc., and the past Clerk of the Real Estate Bar Association of Massachusetts (formerly known as the Massachusetts Conveyancers Association) where she previously served as co-chair of the Commercial Real Estate Finance Committee. She frequently writes and lectures on real estate topics.
- Connecticut General Life Insurance Company
Represented Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, as lender, in connection with a $24 million acquisition loan secured by two connected 7-story office buildings in Chicago, Illinois.
- Corigin Real Estate Group
Represented Corigin Real Estate Group, a New York-based real estate investment firm, in connection with a joint venture with Panoramic Interests and the financing of the development of a student housing project in Berkeley, California.
- Nutter Represents Cigna on Chicago Acquisition Financing
Nutter represented Connecticut General Life Insurance Company, as lender, in connection with a $24,000,000 acquisition loan secured by two connected 7-story office buildings in the River North neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois. The buildings, containing approximately 121,600 square feet of office space, are located at 357-363 West Erie Street and are leased to multiple tenants.
- Nutter Represents Client in Lakeway Commons Project
Nutter's client, Grossman Development Group, along with its investment partner and lender, successfully completed the acquisition of the former Spags site along Route 9 in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts. The development team has commenced construction of a new mixed use project at the site, known as Lakeway Commons.
- Phoenix Property Company/Lincoln Property Company
Nutter represents a joint venture between Phoenix Property Company /Lincoln Property Company and an institutional investor in the permitting and transactional aspects of a large, complex, multi-party residential/hotel/retail mixed-use project with underground garage to be constructed on the land known as Parcel K, owned by the Massachusetts Port Authority, that is located in the Seaport District in Boston. The Project will consist of a 12-story apartment building with 304 apartments, a 12-story, 294-room hotel, office and retail space in both towers and a 1-level underground garage. Our work leading up to the initial closing involved the negotiation of: the acquisition of the Project development rights from a prior developer; the joint venture between Phoenix Property Company/Lincoln Property Company and an institutional investor; the transfer of the hotel development rights to a joint venture between Hyatt Hotels Corporation and a hotel operator; multiple ground leases with Massport for the separate Project components; a construction loan with JPMorgan Chase, N.A. as lead lender; and a complex reciprocal easement agreement among the different Project components; as well as addressing complex permitting and title issues (including the creation of multiple air rights parcels).
- The Boulevard, Boston Takes Shape
Advised the owner and developer of a downtown Boston property in the financing of a new 12-story residential and commercial condominium project, known as The Boulevard, in the negotiation of senior mortgage financing as well as a preferred equity investment by a national investment management firm. The project is designed to contain 31 market-rate units, five artists’ units, a retail unit, and a garage, and includes elements of a historic Bulfinch building.
- Delaware North
Represented Delaware North, one of the largest privately held global hospitality and food service companies in the world, when it expanded its portfolio of resorts into Massachusetts by acquiring the Sea Crest Beach Hotel on Cape Cod.
News & Insights
- Forty-four Nutter Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Edition of Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars10.30.2015
- Firm ranks as leader in Banking & Finance; Real Estate; Litigation; Environment; and Labor & Employment, 05.19.2015
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly quotes Beth Mitchell in “Foreclosure ordinances preempted by state law”01.15.2015
- October 2013
- October 2012
- Beth Mitchell and Matthew Hanaghan present at Massachusetts Bankers Association’s webinar "Bank REO Sales & Resulting Liability"09.20.2011
- Banker & Tradesman, 05.10.2010
- Beth Mitchell and Marianne Ajemian present at Law Seminars International’s Workshop “Commercial Real Estate Workouts & Remedies”03.24.2010
- Beth Mitchell quoted in “Commercial Credit Markets Thawing For Quality Borrowers, But Quality’s Scarce”Banker & Tradesman, 02.08.2010
- Beth Mitchell authors Massachusetts chapter of ABA publication “Foreclosure Law and Related Remedies: A State-by-State Digest”06.09.2009
- Banker & Tradesman, 04.27.2009
- March/April 2009
- Banker & Tradesman, 02.02.2009
- REBA News, 01.21.2008
- 09.15.2016 | Legal Advisory
- 07.13.2016 | Legal Advisory
- Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Rules On Lien Priority Between Condominium Associations and Mortgage Lenders04.22.2016 | Legal Advisory
- 04.17.2015 | Legal Advisory
- 12.30.2014 | Legal Update
- 12.23.2014 | Legal Advisory
- 09.03.2014 | Legal Advisory
- 08.18.2014 | Legal Advisory
- 05.30.2014 | Legal Update
- 04.28.2014 | Legal Update
- 03.31.2014 | Legal Update
- 03.24.2014 | Legal Advisory
- Court Case Finds that a Lender’s Environmental Indemnity Agreement Did Not Cover Certain Costs Commonly Incurred by a Lender Following a Loan Default01.16.2014 | Legal Advisory
- 01.07.2014 | Legal Advisory
- 08.30.2013 | Legal Update
- 08.16.2013 | Legal Advisory
- 08.16.2013 | Legal Advisory
- 08.16.2013 | Legal Advisory
- Foreclosure Update: Supreme Judicial Court Rules that Only Mortgagees or their Agents have Standing to File a Servicemember ProceedingFebruary 4, 2013 | Legal Advisory
- 11.16.2012 | Article
- April 6, 2012 (Revised) | Legal Advisory
- 02.07.2011 | Legal Advisory
- 02.02.2011 | Legal Advisory
- 09.22.2008 | Legal Advisory
- Chambers and Partners, Leading U.S. Real Estate Attorney, 2004-2017
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2006-2018
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004-2017; Massachusetts Super Lawyers Top 50 Women, 2004 & 2008-2012; Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2011-2013; Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2009 & 2010
- Who's Who Legal: Real Estate, 2011-2017
Education & Admissions
Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif
Yale University, B.A., cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Beth is currently serving as an officer of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys (ACMA) and is a member of the Board of Governors of ACREL.
Chambers and Partners, Leading U.S. Real Estate Attorney, 2004-2017
The Best Lawyers in America, 2006-2018
Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004-2017
Massachusetts Super Lawyers Top 50 Women, 2004 & 2008-2012
Who's Who Legal: Real Estate, 2011-2017