David A. Libardoni
David A. Libardoni is an associate in Nutter’s Real Estate Department and a member of the firm’s Development, Land Use and Permitting practice group. A diverse range of clients rely on David for advising on complex commercial acquisitions, dispositions, joint venture, leasing, and financing matters as well as development and permitting expertise, in particular with negotiating conveyance, financing, and leasing documents, performing zoning, title, and survey due diligence, representation at public hearings and obtaining zoning relief, and managing the closings for a variety of transactions.
Notable Experience and Client Impact
- Representation of prominent mixed-use developer in connection with joint venture and $140 million construction loan for an approximately 275,000 square foot Class A laboratory building in Somerville, MA.
- Representation of industrial real estate investor and operator in its acquisition, financing, leasing, and sale of industrial assets in Massachusetts and Mid-Atlantic region with an aggregate value of over $300 million.
- Representation of real estate holding company with assets in the retail, entertainment, industrial, warehouse and distribution sectors throughout Massachusetts.
- Representation of foreign government in connection with negotiation of long-term downtown Boston office lease and construction contract.
- Representation of Fortune 500 company in connection with leasing matters across throughout the U.S.
- Representation of life insurance company in connection with the forbearance and work out of a portfolio of commercial real estate loans in the retail, hospitality, and residential sectors across the U.S.
- Representation of nonprofit healthcare provider in connection with the development and financing of a 102-unit residential development with a preference for affordable veterans’ housing located in Brighton, MA.
- Representation of a life insurance company in connection with a $112 million loan and $175 million refinancing to a joint venture and pension fund secured by a Class A office and research laboratory building in the Longwood Medical Area.
- Representation of an oil and gas company on the sale and disposition of over 110 fuel service stations located throughout the Northeast.
- Representation of joint venture developer in connection with construction and mezzanine financing for a transit-oriented residential development in Plymouth, MA.
Development and Permitting Matters
- Representation of prominent developer in connection with new lab and office buildings in Somerville, MA.
- Representation of developer in connection with a transit oriented development in Newton, MA.
- Representation of nonprofit senior lifecare provider in connection with the development and permitting of 254-unit continuing care retirement community located in Londonderry, NH.
- Representation of national grocery store chain in connection with all permitting and licensing matters in Massachusetts.
- Representation of national fast casual restaurant in connection with permitting and zoning relief for downtown Boston location.
- Representation of developer in connection with permitting and zoning relief necessary for the acquisition and redevelopment of historic religious structure into residential condominium in downtown Boston.
David is committed to the firm’s pro bono efforts. He has worked with Medical-Legal Partnership | Boston and the Volunteer Lawyers Project to represent pro bono clients in landlord-tenant disputes as well as other nonprofit organizations seeking real estate advice and expertise.
In 2021, David was selected for the Boston Bar Association’s 2020-2021 Public Interest Leadership Program (PILP), a 10-month program designed to provide intensive leadership and professional development training to lawyers within their first 10 years of practice across key areas including effective organizational leadership, diversity, equity and inclusion, public service and pro bono engagement, and board service.
During law school, David served as editor in chief of the Boston College Law Review and received the Cornelius J. Moynihan Award for Outstanding Editorial Work in Publications.
His other legal experience includes a judicial internship for the Honorable Mary M. Lisi of the U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island.
After graduating from Tufts University, David received a Fulbright Grant from the U.S. Department of State and served as an English teaching assistant and cultural ambassador in South Korea.
- DTM Packaging and Custom Automation
Nutter served as legal advisor to DTM Packaging and Custom Automation, a leader in machinery manufacturing and re-manufacturing, in its acquisition by The Massman Companies, a Minnesota-based team of machinery and technology companies.
- The Gove Company, Inc.
Nutter represented The Gove Company, Inc. in its sale of a parking lot on Newbury Street in Boston to L3 Capital, a Chicago-based investment firm. The total value of the transaction was $40 million.
- Represented shorefront owners in litigation concerning easement rights on Cape Cod
Nutter defended several shorefront owners in litigation concerning access to the waters of Cape Cod Bay. The courts ruled that the original developers did not reserve beach rights for the inland owners and further confirmed that the shorefront owners owned their land out to the mean low water line.
- PeoplesBancorp, MHC
Nutter represented PeoplesBancorp, MHC, a Massachusetts mutual holding company, and the bank holding company of PeoplesBank, a Massachusetts-chartered savings bank, both of Holyoke, Massachusetts, in connection with its acquisition of First Suffield Financial, Inc., a Connecticut corporation and the bank holding company of The First National Bank of Suffield, a national bank, both of Suffield, Connecticut. The total value of the transaction was approximately $60 million.
- Brighton Marine
Nutter advised Brighton Marine on all aspects of the development of The Residences at Brighton Marine, a $46 million project that created 102 units of affordable housing in Boston with a preference for veterans. Nutter provided counsel on all aspects of the project, including the original strategic planning, the permitting, the formation of the joint venture with WinnCompanies, the ground lease to the joint venture, and the financing.
- Phoenix Property Company/Lincoln Property Company
Nutter represented Lincoln Property Company and Phoenix Property Company in a joint venture with an institutional capital partner in connection with the acquisition of development rights and the permitting and transactional aspects relating to this multi-party mixed-used development.
New construction mixed-use development project totaling 499,500 square feet. The project includes a 12-story multi-family apartment building containing approximately 300,000 square feet and 304 first-class rental apartment residences, including 22 on-site affordable units and additional off-site contributions to Boston’s affordable housing stock. Resident amenities include a rooftop pool, Skydeck, gym and wellness studio. The apartment building also contains 22,816 square feet of space that can be used for retail, restaurant and/or office space. The adjacent Hotel Component, located a shared podium, was developed into a 12-story Hyatt Place hotel with 294 rooms. There is a one-level underground parking garage beneath the apartment building and garage that can accommodate up to 450 cars. The mixed-use development is situated on Massport’s “Parcel K” and was constructed pursuant to 3 separate 99-year ground leases entered with Massport.
- Edgewood Retirement Community Inc., The Baldwin Senior Living, and Edgewood Senior Solutions Group Inc.
Nutter represented Edgewood Retirement Community Inc., The Baldwin Senior Living, and Edgewood Senior Solutions Group Inc. in connection with the acquisition of a 15.1 acre property in Londonderry, NH, where it plans to build an all-new, one-of-a-kind senior living community called The Baldwin.
Nutter represents shorefront owners in litigation on Cape Cod.
News & Insights
- 05.20.2021 | Press Release
- 01.08.2021 | Announcement
- Nutter Assists With The Baldwin’s Deal for Woodmont Commons Land, Setting Stage for Innovative New Senior Living Community10.27.2020 | Press Release
- 08.20.2020 | Press Release
- 09.13.2019 | Press Release
- 07.12.2019 | Press Release
- 02.05.2019 | Press Release
- 07.17.2018 | Press Release
- 07.06.2018 | Press Release
- 01.10.2018 | Press Release
- 01.28.2021 | Legal Advisory
- 09.15.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 04.30.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 04.29.2020 | Legal Update
- 04.27.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 04.21.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 01.18.2018 | Article
- Chambers USA, Leading U.S. Real Estate Attorney, 2021
The Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch”, 2021
Education & Admissions
Boston College Law School, J.D., cum laude
Tufts University, B.A.
David performed title, survey, and zoning review for a client’s $64 million joint venture acquisition of a portfolio of office and warehouse properties in Massachusetts and Connecticut and on-going financing and disposition of portfolio assets.
Chambers USA, Leading U.S. Real Estate Attorney, 2021
The Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch”, 2021