John M. Lerner
John M. Lerner is an associate in Nutter’s Real Estate Department. He represents clients in a broad array of transactions, including commercial real estate acquisitions and dispositions, real estate finance, and commercial leasing.
Developers and sponsors rely on John’s legal counsel in negotiating purchase and sale agreements, ground leases, and related conveyance documents, as well as assisting with equity and debt financing in connection with various asset classes such as office, multifamily, hospitality, and industrial. John represents institutional and private lenders in mezzanine, construction, and permanent financing for retail, office, multifamily, and industrial projects. In addition, he negotiates office and retail leases on behalf of both landlords and tenants. John also advises clients on zoning and land use matters, including the procurement of federal, state, and local entitlements.
Notable Experience and Client Impact
- Represented a client in the lease negotiations for Class A office space in downtown Boston.
- Advised a real estate development firm on the acquisition, disposition, and development of mixed-use, office, and self-storage assets.
- Represented a client with a ground lease financing for a Class A office building.
- Advised a real estate investment firm on the acquisition and development of residential projects.
- Represented an institutional lender on acquisition and construction loans for various residential developments, including student housing.
Prior to joining Nutter, John was a real estate associate in the Boston office of a New England law firm. Previously, he was a real estate associate at a law firm in Providence, RI.
During law school, John authored Private Rights Under the Housing Act: Preserving Rental Assistance for Section 8 Tenants. He also served as a clerk for the Honorable William P. Robinson III of the Rhode Island Supreme Court and the Honorable William E. Smith of the U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island.
Education & Admissions
Boston College Law School, J.D.
Colby College, B.A.
- Rhode Island
John served as a clerk for the Honorable William P. Robinson III of the Rhode Island Supreme Court and the Honorable William E. Smith of the U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island.