John C. Leddy is an associate in Nutter’s Litigation Department. He advises clients on a wide range of complex commercial litigation matters before state and federal courts, with a particular focus on the transportation, construction, and real estate industries.
Traditional insurance carriers, businesses with significant self-insured retentions, owners of single parent-captive insurance companies, and members of group captives, risk purchasing groups, and risk retention groups frequently turn to John for legal counsel on insurance and reinsurance coverage and transactions throughout the United States, the Caribbean, and London. John often handles construction litigation, premises liability, product liability, labor and employment, and multistate transportation litigation matters. He also has experience defending corporations and individuals in negligence-based claims.
Notable Experience and Client Impact
- Obtained summary judgment in New York State Supreme Court, New York County in an underlying New York labor law matter stemming from two separate incidents at two separate buildings, requiring multiple summary judgment motions and oral arguments.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of New York State Supreme Court, Kings County premises liability action following pre-answer motion to dismiss on lack of personal jurisdiction and forum non-conveniens grounds for foreign domiciled limited partnership.
- Obtained summary judgment in New York State Supreme Court, Suffolk County in a commercial transportation matter involving multiple summary judgment filings, motions for re-argument, and eventual dismissal of claims.
- Obtained dismissal of a complaint in New York State Supreme Court, New York County of a second lawsuit on breach of contract grounds stemming from a premises liability incident where the firm previously obtained vacatur of default judgment and dismissal of underlying complaint in Supreme Court, Kings County.
- Obtained summary judgment in New York State Supreme Court, Nassau County on a commercial transportation matter for a commercial leasing client on Graves Amendment preemption arguments.
- Obtained summary judgment in New York State Supreme Court, Kings County in a premises liability matter through showing lack of client creation or notice of alleged defect at end of discovery.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal in New York State Supreme Court, Suffolk County of a New York labor law case prior to beginning extensive discovery through summary judgment motion, aggressive surveillance, and investigations of claims.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal in New York State Supreme Court, Bronx County following summary judgment submissions in a New York labor law / premises liability case where other defendants were forced to settle in excess of $500,000 following disposition.
Prior to joining Nutter, John was a litigation associate in the New York office of a national law firm. Before that, he was an associate at a boutique litigation firm in Boston.
During law school, John clerked for a Fortune 100 multinational insurer in the litigation and coverage practice groups. In addition, he interned at the Department of Labor, Office of the Solicitor in the Boston regional office, focusing on issues pertaining to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Occupation Safety and Health Act (OSHA), and Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA). John gained legal experience as an intern for the National Mediation Board, Office of the General Counsel, focusing on issues concerning the Railway Labor Act (RLA) and external litigation. He also helped low-income families by serving as a student attorney at the Boston College Civil Litigation Clinic.
Education & Admissions
Boston College Law School, J.D.
Trinity College, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York