John C. Leddy
John C. Leddy is an associate in Nutter’s Litigation Department. He advises client on a wide range of nationwide complex commercial litigation matters before federal and state courts, with a particular focus on the real estate, banking and insurance industries.
John represents clients from the boardroom to the courtroom, providing strategic advice on important business decisions and representing clients through trial. Clients often engage John for actions stemming from complex real estate-related matters, joint venture and partnership disputes, as well as land use and construction related litigation, amongst others.
In addition, John has extensive experience representing clients in insurance and reinsurance coverage disputes, regulatory compliance actions, and multinational reinsurance transactions. This includes representing traditional insurance carriers, businesses with significant self-insured retentions, owners of single parent-captive insurance companies, and members of group captives, risk purchasing groups, and risk retention groups.
Notable Experience and Client Impact
- Obtained summary judgment in New York labor law matter stemming from two separate incidents requiring multiple summary judgment motions and oral arguments.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal following pre-answer motion to dismiss on lack of personal jurisdiction and forum non-conveniens grounds for foreign limited partnership.
- Obtained summary judgment in a commercial transportation matter involving multiple summary judgment filings, motions for re-argument, and eventual dismissal of claims.
- Obtained dismissal multiple lawsuits on breach of contract grounds stemming from an underlying premises liability incident where the firm previously obtained vacatur of default judgment and dismissal of the initial complaint.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of a New York labor law case prior to beginning extensive discovery through summary judgment motion and investigations of claims.
Prior to joining Nutter, John was a litigation associate in the New York office of a national law firm. Before that, he was an associate at a boutique litigation firm in Boston.
During law school, John clerked for a Fortune 100 multinational insurer in the litigation and coverage practice groups. In addition, he interned at the Department of Labor, Office of the Solicitor focusing on issues pertaining to the Fair Labor Standards Act, Occupation Safety and Health Act, and Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974. John also helped low-income families by serving as a student attorney at the Boston College Civil Litigation Clinic.
Education & Admissions
Boston College Law School, J.D.
Trinity College, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York