Brent M. McDonald
Brent M. McDonald is of counsel in Nutter's Real Estate Department and a member of the Development, Land Use and Permitting group. He focuses his practice on land use and permitting projects and environmental compliance. In addition, Brent has experience representing banks, life insurance companies, pension funds, real estate developers, owners and other borrowers in complex real estate financing transactions locally, regionally and nationally.
Brent’s representative work includes:
- representing the local redevelopment authority in real estate, environmental, and permitting matters for the redevelopment of the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station, closed as part of BRAC 1995, including the creation of subdivision and other by-laws
- representing a non-profit recipient of a $32 million Broadband Technology Opportunity Program grant by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration from American Recovery and Reinvestment Act stimulus funds to construct a comprehensive middle mile communications network consisting of a core fiber optic backbone, microwave overlay and regional colocation center, including the drafting and negotiating of construction contracts, indefeasible right to use agreements, cell tower leases and licenses and requests for proposals.
- assisting the owner of an oceanfront mixed-use development on a former mill complex with Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act compliance
- permitting and zoning work for power plants in Massachusetts
- representing a nonprofit corporation in the permitting and financing of a proposed intergenerational campus in Dedham, Massachusetts
- representing a group of life insurance companies and pension funds on a $35 million loan increase for the redevelopment of a mixed-use laboratory and retail project in Boston
- representing a life insurance company on three $120 - $175 million portfolio loans, secured by industrial properties located throughout the United States
- refinancing of an industrial building and related facilities for a media company in western Massachusetts
- representing a religious organization in permanent and construction loans to congregations throughout the United States
Brent is active in the Real Estate Bar Association of Massachusetts and was named to the 2007 Massachusetts Super Lawyer Rising Stars list.
Brent gained previous experience as an intern with the Public Charities Division of the Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General and with Harvard University’s Office of the General Counsel. During law school, Brent was an editor of the Public Interest Law Journal, and in college he was drum major of the Boston College Marching Band. Brent currently sits on the Board of Directors and is a member of the Executive Committee of the Boston Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps, Inc., a nonprofit drum and bugle corps for high school and college students.
- Brighton Marine
Nutter advised Brighton Marine on all aspects of the development of The Residences at Brighton Marine, a $46 million project that created 102 units of affordable housing in Boston with a preference for veterans. Nutter provided counsel on all aspects of the project, including the original strategic planning, the permitting, the formation of the joint venture with WinnCompanies, the ground lease to the joint venture, and the financing.
News & Insights
- 07.06.2018 | Press Release
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2007
Education & Admissions
Boston University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
Boston College, B.A., cum laude
Brent gained previous experience as an intern with the Public Charities Division of the Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General and with Harvard University’s Office of the General Counsel.
Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2007