Liam T. O'Connell
Liam T. O’Connell is chair of the firm’s Labor, Employment and Benefits practice group and a member of the Executive Committee.
Liam regularly represents clients in the litigation of labor and employment disputes in state and federal courts, administrative agencies, and in mediation and arbitration proceedings. Additionally, Liam represents employers on a regular basis in collective bargaining negotiations, grievance arbitration, union contract administration, union organizing campaigns and avoidance, labor injunction proceedings, and in proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board. Liam has represented unionized and non-unionized employers throughout the United States and abroad in a wide variety of industries, including construction, retail, banking, financial services, hospitality, health care, insurance and transportation. Liam also regularly represents educational institutions in matters relating to governance, faculty tenure matters, student and employee disciplinary matters, risk management and union relations in the educational environment.
Liam provides clients with extensive labor and employment counsel on a full range of general employee relations issues including executive compensation agreements, reductions in force, acquisitions, relocations and restructurings, workplace diversity and affirmative action plans, compliance of wage and hour laws and reasonable accommodations in the workplace. He also advises clients on matters pertaining to employment contracts and non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements, as well as the development of employee manuals and personnel policies.
Liam also counsels employers regarding compliance with occupational safety and health laws, and regularly represents clients in proceedings before the Occupational Safety and Health Commission arising out of workplace injuries and deaths.
Liam is a frequent speaker on labor and employment issues. A resident of Cohasset, Massachusetts, Liam is active in many areas of the community. He is Co-Chair of Cohasset’s Open Space Committee, and served as President of the Town of Cohasset’s Basketball Boosters, and as President of Cohasset’s Little League. Liam also has served as an Admissions Liaison Representative for the United States Military Academy.
While enrolled in law school, Liam served as an editor for the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, and worked for the Texas Attorney General’s Office. Prior to attending law school and entering private practice, he served as an officer in the United States Army. An Honor Graduate of the United States Army’s Ranger School and Military Intelligence Officer Advanced School, Liam retired from military service as a Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Judge Advocate General Corps.
News & Insights
- Forty-four Nutter Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Edition of Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars10.30.2015
- Firm ranks as leader in Banking & Finance; Real Estate; Litigation; Environment; and Labor & Employment, 05.19.2015
- October 2013
- October 2012
- Boston Business Journal, 06.17.2011
- 12.09.2016 | Advisory
- Nationwide Injunction Halts Overtime Rule Set to Take Effect on December 1, 2016 and Presents Challenges to Employers11.23.2016 | Advisory
- 09.30.2015 | Legal Update
- 05.29.2015 | Legal Update
- 11.25.2014 | Legal Update
- 11.19.2014 | Legal Update
- 11.05.2014 | Advisory
- 07.02.2014 | Legal Update
- 12.27.2012 | Legal Update
- “Unveiled: A New Enforcement Method In GSK Settlement” published in White Collar Law360’s “Expert Analysis” section08.16.2012 | Article
- Executive Compensation At Risk: Government Prosecutors Unveil New Enforcement Method in Recent GlaxoSmithKline Healthcare Fraud Settlement08.15.2012 | Article
- 11.29.2011 | Legal Update
- 06.01.2011 | Advisory
- 05.31.2011 | Legal Update
- 09.22.2010 | Advisory
- 08.13.2010 | Advisory
- Massachusetts Attorney General’s Fair Labor Division Issues Advisory on Independent Contractor Law, M.G.L. c. 149, §148B05.09.2008 | Advisory
- Chambers and Partners, Leading Labor & Employment Attorney, 2015-2017
- Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition
- Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2012-2015
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2005-2007 & 2011-2016
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2018
Education & Admissions
University of Texas School of Law, J.D.
United States Military Academy at West Point, B.S.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Prior to entering private practice, Liam served as an officer in the United States Army where he was an Honor Graduate of the United States Army’s Ranger School and Military Intelligence Officer Advanced School.
Chambers and Partners, Leading Labor & Employment Attorney, 2015-2017
Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2005-2007 & 2011-2016
Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2012-2015
The Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2018