Terence A. McGinnis
Terence (Terry) A. McGinnis is senior of counsel in Nutter’s Corporate and Transactions Department and a member of the firm’s Banking and Financial Services group. His practice focuses on corporate governance, risk assessment, and regulatory compliance for financial institutions.
Previously, Terry served as the Commissioner of Banks in Massachusetts. While there, he supervised 200 state-chartered banks and credit unions with assets totaling more than $400 billion. He also oversaw the licensing and supervision of more than 9,000 non-depository licensees, including mortgage lenders, mortgage brokers, mortgage loan originators, consumer finance companies, money services businesses, debt collectors, and loan servicers.
Prior to that, Terry served as executive vice president and general counsel at Eastern Bank for more than a decade. Before that, he held a variety of senior legal positions with both the Bank of Boston and Fleet Bank, including leading the International Law Practice Group at FleetBoston Financial Corporation. Terry also has experience in government service, having served as associate counsel to the Committee on Rules of the U.S. House of Representatives under the late Congressman John Joseph Moakley.
Terry has a distinguished Naval career, in both active duty and reserve, retiring at the rank of captain in 2001. He is an honors graduate of Merrimack College, earned his master’s degree from Boston College Graduate School, and received his law degree from Boston College Law School. Salem State awarded him an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters for his community service on the North Shore, which included service of the boards of various nonprofits in the health care industry, legal services, and educational programs for inner city children.
- Eastern Bankshares, Inc.
Nutter served as legal counsel to Eastern Bank Corporation, the mutual holding company of Eastern Bank, in its conversion to a fully public stock holding company known as Eastern Bankshares, Inc. (NASDAQ Global Select Market: EBC).
News & Insights
- Nutter Represents Eastern Bankshares, Inc. in Historic Initial Public Offering: Largest Full Conversion by U.S. Bank10.19.2020 | Press Release
- 08.30.2019 | Media Coverage
- 12.28.2020 | Legal Update
- 12.22.2020 | Legal Update
- 11.24.2020 | Legal Update
- 10.29.2020 | Legal Update
- 09.30.2020 | Legal Update
- 08.27.2020 | Legal Update
- 07.29.2020 | Legal Update
- 06.29.2020 | Legal Update
- 06.17.2020 | Legal Update
- 05.28.2020 | Legal Update
- 04.29.2020 | Legal Update
- 04.10.2020 | Legal Update
- 04.06.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.31.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.28.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 03.27.2020 | Legal Update
- Special Edition Nutter Bank Report: Federal Reserve Announces Extraordinary Second Wave of New Initiatives in Response to the Global Pandemic03.24.2020 | Legal Update
Education & Admissions
Boston College Law School, J.D.
Boston College Graduate School, M.A.
Merrimack College, B.A.
Terry has experience in government service, having served as associate counsel to the Committee on Rules of the U.S. House of Representatives under the late Congressman John Joseph Moakley.
Previously, Terry served as the Commissioner of Banks in Massachusetts. While there, he supervised 200 state-chartered banks and credit unions with assets totaling more than $400 billion.