Shagha Tousi Russell
Shagha Tousi Russell is a partner in Nutter’s Litigation Department and a member of the firm’s Business Litigation and Product Liability practice groups. Clients rely on Shagha’s counsel to deal with disputes arising with their organization’s product marketing initiatives, sales force, and competitors. Shagha regularly advises clients in the life sciences industry, as well as food and beverage companies and other organizations relying on large sales networks as a core component of their business, on matters ranging from non-compete and competitive disputes to product liability claims and contractual disputes.
- Represented fully integrated life sciences company in recall of a globally marketed product in multi-district product liability and state litigation.
- Representing Fortune 100 life insurance company with nationwide sales network in multi-jurisdiction non-compete and competitive dispute.
- Represented multinational medical device company in product liability litigation involving 300+ plaintiffs.
- Represented Fortune 50 medical device company in non-compete disputes across the country.
- Won verdict of $1.7 million in trial involving claims of contractual disputes and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Counseled clients on risk management through review of company documents, including internal emails and memoranda, marketing materials, public relations documents, and regulatory submissions.
- Counseled multiple food and beverage clients on product labeling, including nutritional content information and warning labels.
- Successfully negotiated settlement of product liability claim on behalf of multinational life sciences company involving broken surgical instrument for an amount well below authority and at a fraction of claimant’s initial demand.
- Successfully defended automobile manufacturer and distributor in multiple products liability actions.
Shagha is active in many civic, charitable and pro bono organizations, including:
- Co-chair of the Boston Bar Association’s Product Liability Litigation committee
- Board of Directors for the Legal Advocacy and Resource Center, a non-profit legal services organization providing free legal support and referrals to low-income Massachusetts residents
- Past member of the Boston Bar Association’s subcommittee on the Public Interest Leadership Program
- Represented clients on a pro bono basis in a class action against a state agency challenging some of the agency’s discriminatory policies and procedures
- Represented victims of sexual violence on a pro bono basis in ch. 209A hearings
Prior to joining Nutter, Shagha served as a summer clerk for the Honorable Henry J. Boroff, of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Massachusetts. Shagha participated as a student attorney on The Boston College Immigration and Asylum Project and served as a research assistant to a notable law professor during law school.
News & Insights
- February/March 2016
- Forty-four Nutter Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Edition of Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars10.30.2015
- Nutter co-hosts reception with five other law firms at Defense Research Institute’s 30th Annual Drug and Medical Device Seminar05.15.2014
- The Wall Street Journal, 10.25.2009
- 01.31.2018 | Legal Update
- 01.19.2017 | Legal Update
- 01.18.2017 | Article
- 12.07.2016 | Article
- 10.25.2016 | Legal Update
- 08.04.2016 | Legal Advisory
- 06.01.2016 | Legal Advisory
- Writing for the Huffington Post, Shagha Tousi Evaluates the Legal Ramifications of 'Natural' Food Labeling03.24.2016 | Article
- 02.29.2016 | Legal Update
- Writing for ABA’s Products Liability Litigation Newsletter, Shagha Tousi Analyzes Federal Preemption and 'All Natural' Food and Beverage Cases02.08.2016 | Article
- 01.30.2015 | Legal Update
- Law360 publishes “Product Liability In 2014: What Did And Didn’t Happen?” by David Ferrera and Shagha Tousi12.22.2014 | Article
- 01.27.2014 | Legal Update
- DRI publishes “Uneven Ground: Legal and Practical Considerations for Defending Against Pro Se Plaintiffs” by Shagha Tousi12.30.2013 | Article
- 11.14.2012 | Legal Update
- Non-Compete Law Blog, 01.07.2016
- Boston Business Journal’s 40 Under 40, 2015
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2014-2016
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, Boston Future Leaders, 2015-2016
Education & Admissions
Boston College Law School, J.D., Alumni Scholar
Boston College Carroll Graduate School of Management, M.B.A.
Boston College, B.S., magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
Shagha counsels food and beverage clients on product labeling, including nutritional content information and warning labels. She also writes for various industry publications and presents on issues relating to how food and beverage manufacturers can avoid litigation targeting their product packaging.
Boston Business Journal’s 40 Under 40, 2015
Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2014-2016
Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, Boston Future Leaders, 2015-2016