Ronald E. Cahill
Ronald E. Cahill chairs Nutter’s Intellectual Property Department and the firm’s IP Litigation practice group, and is a partner in the firm’s Intellectual Property and Litigation Departments. He is also a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. Ron works with clients of all sizes to solve their most challenging intellectual property problems. His advice ranges from designing intellectual property protection that maximizes the protectable value of the client’s investment in research and development to applying that intellectual property in court and in the marketplace to allow clients to realize that value. While much of Ron’s work involves presenting his clients’ case to judges and juries around the country, many clients ask him to apply that experience to strategic planning within their business, and especially with respect to their competitors or potential deal partners.
Notable Experience and Client Impact
- Acting as lead trial counsel for an electronic component manufacturer sued for patent infringement by a competitor, using Patent Office reexamination procedures to cut off damages arising from a jury trial in federal court. This case is currently under a cross-appeal involving cutting-edge issues of patent invalidity and damages.
- Successfully forcing a competitor suing for patent infringement to narrow the scope of their patent claims in a Patent Office Inter Partes Review, resulting in free space for the client to develop products outside of the competitor’s patent claims.
- Securing a settlement for a Fortune 500 medical device company sued by a competitor for patent infringement using a novel countersuit strategy based on equitable defenses. As a result of the settlement terms, the client was able to close a sale of the affected business unit within 24 hours.
- Representing a university licensee/start-up medical device company through commercialization and nine-figure acquisition, including successful application of the company’s patents by the acquirer against competitors through trial and appeal court proceedings.
- Conducting IP due diligence for an acquirer in a litigious portion of the orthopedics space that ultimately resulted in the client being able to purchase only the portions of the target technology that it most desired at a price much lower than prior offers.
- Applying and managing, as lead trial counsel, a complex strategy across multiple jury trials and Patent Office IPR and reexamination proceedings to defend a medical component manufacturer against allegations of infringement of six patents by a competitor.
- Achieving mediated settlement of a patent infringement suit for an analog technology developer against a digital competitor following successful claim construction.
In addition to his work with patents, on the brand side Ron represents clients seeking to protect their brands in areas such as consumer products, business to business sales, foods, beverages, and restaurants. He has experience resolving trademark and trade dress disputes in federal courts as well as in opposition and cancellation proceedings before the TTAB.
A leader in professional associations in the intellectual property field, Ron has chaired an American Intellectual Property Law Association patent law committee on legal standards for obviousness and is a past chair of the Litigation Committee of the Boston Patent Law Association. Recently, he has been active in formulating legislative proposals in the areas of attorney fee shifting and patentable subject matter through his involvement in the Intellectual Property Owners Association. He speaks frequently on topics relating to building strategic intellectual property portfolios and using intellectual property to enhance business value and is often quoted on IP issues in the business press.
An engineer as well as an attorney, Ron began his professional career with Lockheed-Sanders in Nashua, New Hampshire, in their engineering and manufacturing divisions. Prior to joining Nutter, he was an associate in the New York office of Fish & Neave.
News & Insights
- Ron Cahill Quoted on Supreme Court Case WesternGeco v. Ion Geophysical in Managing Intellectual Property04.19.2018
- Forty-four Nutter Attorneys Recognized in 2015 Edition of Massachusetts Super Lawyers and Rising Stars10.30.2015
- International experts gather to present expertise, insights on complex legal strategies for emerging companies and start-ups, 05.01.2015
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly quotes Ron Cahill in “Ruling leaves open questions on software patent eligibility”06.30.2014
- October 2013
- October 2012
- IP Law & Business, November 2011
- The Bismarck Tribune, 12.17.2010
- Boston Business Journal, 05.02.2008
- Ron Cahill and Pat Concannon Present on Protecting Trade Secrets and Employee / Customer Data from Data Breaches11.15.2016
- Nutter and Halloran Consulting Co-Host ‘Let's Make a Deal: A Look Behind the Curtain in Life Sciences Strategic Funding Transactions’06.16.2016
- Nutter IP partners present “Biopharma Patents and the Ax of Inter Partes Reviews - A Nutter Intellectual Property Breakfast”06.05.2015
- Nutter hosts ACC Northeast’s program “Patent Litigation in the Global Marketplace: What to Expect in 2015"01.13.2015
- Ronald Cahill presents at the BBA’s program “Patent Law Crosses the Great Divide: Litigation and Prosecution Perspectives on ‘Divided Infringement’ after Akamai-McKesson”10.10.2012
- WesternGeco LLC v. ION Geophysical Corp.: Supreme Court to Determine Lost Profits Damages Arising from Patent Infringement: Insights from Nutter's Ron Cahill04.12.2018 | Insights
- 05.21.2015 | Legal Update
- 03.23.2015 | Legal Update
- 01.16.2015 | Legal Update
- 11.19.2014 | Legal Update
- 11.18.2014 | Legal Update
- 09.19.2014 | Legal Update
- 07.21.2014 | Legal Update
- 05.30.2014 | Legal Update
- 05.20.2014 | Legal Update
- 03.17.2014 | Legal Update
- 01.15.2014 | Legal Update
- 11.18.2013 | Legal Update
- 10.08.2013 | Legal Update
- 09.19.2013 | Legal Update
- 07.15.2013 | Legal Update
- 07.03.2013 | Legal Update
- 05.22.2013 | Legal Update
- 03.15.2013 | Legal Update
- February 2013 | Legal Update
- 01.15.2013 | Legal Update
- 11.15.2012 | Legal Update
- 09.18.2012 | Legal Update
- 07.16.2012 | Legal Update
- 05.22.2012 | Legal Update
- 03.15.2012 | Legal Update
- 01.18.2012 | Legal Update
- 11.17.2011 | Legal Update
- 03.31.2011 | Legal Update
- November 2010 | Legal Update
- 05.07.2010 | Legal Update
- 03.10.2010 | Legal Update
- 10.22.2009 | Legal Update
- 09.03.2009 | Legal Update
- 06.18.2009 | Legal Update
- 04.27.2009 | Legal Update
- 02.24.2009 | Legal Update
- 12.15.2008 | Legal Update
- Supreme Court Decision in WesternGeco LLC v. ION Geophysical Corp. to Determine Lost Profits Damages Arising from Patent InfringementIP Law Bulletin, 04.13.2018
- IP Law Bulletin, 01.16.2015
- IP Law Bulletin, 11.18.2014
- Supreme Court Issues Opinion on Software Patents and USPTO Reacts with Preliminary Examination GuidelinesIP Law Bulletin, 07.21.2014
- IP Law Bulletin, 06.19.2014
- Have You Gotten Your Opinion on Patent Invalidity? Federal Circuit Establishes A New Defense To Claims Of Induced InfringementIP Law Bulletin, 06.27.2013
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2018-2019
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004-2016
- Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2009 & 2010
- Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2011-2015
- Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars, 2013-2017
Education & Admissions
University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D.
Cornell University, M.S., Mechanical Engineering
Cornell University, B.S., Mechanical Engineering
- New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
An engineer as well as an attorney, Ron chaired an American Intellectual Property Law Association patent law committee on legal standards for obviousness, and is a past chair of the Patent Litigation Committee of the Boston Patent Law Association.
The Best Lawyers in America, 2018-2019
Massachusetts Super Lawyers, 2004-2017
Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, 2009 & 2010
Super Lawyers Business Edition, 2011-2015
Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars, 2013-2017