Laura Marsell is an associate in Nutter’s Tax Department. Her practice encompasses all aspects of federal, state, and local tax codes, with a particular focus in the context of mergers and acquisitions. Clients rely on Laura to perform due diligence analyzing federal tax issues on potential acquisition targets, analyze the proper federal tax treatment of transaction costs, and calculate golden parachute payments. She has extensive experience in applying the Internal Revenue Code to clients’ federal tax questions, such as determining ownership changes in control pursuant to Section 382 and calculating credits pursuant to Section 41.
Prior to joining Nutter, Laura was a senior tax associate in the mergers and acquisitions group of an audit, tax, and consulting firm. Previously, she gained legal experience as an intern in the Litigation Department of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority and as an intern at a private law firm in Amherst, MA.
- Strategic Cyber LLC
Nutter advised Strategic Cyber LLC in connection with its acquisition by HelpSystems, a Minnesota-based IT software company.
- PollyDot, Inc.
Nutter advised PollyDot, Inc., a large Planet Fitness franchisee in Massachusetts, in connection with the sale of all of its clubs.
- Innovation Associates
Nutter served as legal counsel to Innovation Associates, the market-leading provider of high-volume pharmacy automation technology and software solutions to the retail, hospital, government, and mail order pharmacy markets, in connection with a consortium of investors led by Greg Wasson, the former Walgreens Boots Alliance CEO, acquiring a majority stake to scale the business and enhance its pharmacy automation offerings.
Nutter served as sole legal advisor to miEdge, the premier provider of lead generation, data analytics, and prospecting solutions specifically designed for the insurance industry, in its acquisition by Zywave, the leading insurtech provider powering agency growth.
- Centreville Bank
Nutter served as sole outside legal counsel to Centreville Bank in connection with its agreement to acquire Putnam Bank and its holding company, PB Bancorp, Inc., in a transaction valued at approximately $115.5 million.
- Fisher International, Inc.
Nutter served as sole legal advisor to Fisher International, Inc., a firm supporting the pulp and paper industry with business intelligence and strategy consulting services, in its acquisition by Battery Ventures, a global technology-focused investment firm.
News & Insights
- 03.11.2020 | Press Release
- 02.12.2020 | Press Release
- Nutter Represents Innovation Associates in Consortium Investment Led by Former Walgreens Boots Alliance CEO Greg Wasson12.17.2019 | Press Release
- 12.11.2019 | Media Coverage
- 12.05.2019 | Press Release
- 11.25.2019 | Press Release
- 08.21.2019 | Press Release
- 03.31.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.27.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.27.2020 | Legal Advisory
- Special Edition Nutter Bank Report: Federal Reserve Announces Extraordinary Second Wave of New Initiatives in Response to the Global Pandemic03.24.2020 | Legal Update
- 03.20.2020 | Legal Advisory
- 10.25.2019 | Legal Advisory
- 10.22.2019 | Legal Advisory
- 09.30.2019 | Legal Advisory
- 04.22.2019 | Legal Advisory
Education & Admissions
Boston University School of Law, LL.M.
Boston University School of Law, J.D.
University of Massachusetts at Amherst, B.B.A., cum laude