Joshua Gray is an associate in Nutter’s Corporate and Transactions Department. Clients rely on Josh’s counsel on mergers and acquisitions, private capital finance, technology licensing, intellectual property, employment, equity compensation, corporate governance, and regulatory reporting matters. Clients in a broad range of industries, including consumer goods, software, hardware, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, diagnostics, industrial, and food and beverage, turn to Josh for guidance on a wide variety of transactions.
Notable Experience and Client Impact
Mergers and Acquisitions
Josh is experienced in representing buyers and sellers in domestic and cross-border transactions. He has guided acquirers and targets through auctions, structured earn outs and valuation adjustments, and counseled officers and directors on fiduciary duties in the context of significant corporate transactions. Recent transactions include:
- Representation of Harvey Building Products in its sale to Dunes Point Capital after a full auction process
- Representation of Northeast Retirement Services in its $140 million sale to Community Bank System, Inc. (NYSE: CBU) after a full auction process
- Representation of Commerce Bancshares in its $220 million sale to Berkshire Hills Bancorp (NYSE: BHLB)
- Representation of McCarthy Capital in its recapitalization of and growth equity investment in Bamboo Rose
- Representation of Atlas Devices in its recapitalization by Anvil Capital
- Representation of Wincove Private Holdings in its its recapitalization of and growth equity investment in Aloi Solutions
- Representation of a privately-held international manufacturing company in a number of strategic acquisitions of complementary, worldwide businesses
- Representation of a privately-held beverage company in its acquisition by a publicly-traded strategic buyer
- Representation of a strategic pharmaceutical industry buyer in its acquisition of and early-stage drug development company with a purchase price in excess of $1 billion, including earn-outs
- Representation of a venture-backed consumer software company in its acquisition by a Fortune 50 strategic buyer
Emerging Company Capital Finance
As a member of Nutter’s Emerging Companies Practice Group, Josh assists early stage clients in formulating strategies to realize their business goals and in building the foundation necessary to secure third party investment. Josh has represented issuers and investors in angel, venture capital and growth capital financings representing an aggregate of over $500 million in investments in emerging growth companies. Josh has also represented emerging growth companies and underwriters in initial public offerings raising an aggregate of over $250 million. Josh continues his professional involvement outside the firm as a member of the Association for Corporate Growth and the Boston Bar Association.
- Netra, Inc.
Series Seed financing led by Launchpad Venture Group and NXT Ventures with participation from Zelkova Ventures, Mark Cuban, Berwind LLC, and other prominent angels
- McCarthy Capital
Recapitalization and growth equity investment in Bamboo Rose Partners
- Northeast Retirement Services, Inc.,
Pending acquisition by Community Bank System, Inc. (NYSE: CBU)
Approximately $140 million
- Harvey Building Products, Inc.
Sale to Dunes Point Capital
News & Insights
- Nutter serves as legal advisor to Harvey Building Products in its acquisition by Dunes Point Capital10.05.2015
Education & Admissions
New York University School of Law, J.D.
Syracuse University, B.A., cum laude
Prior to joining Nutter, Josh worked as an associate at an international law firm in Boston. His professional experience also includes serving as a program manager for the New England Clean Energy Council, where he focused on the expansion of cleantech-led economic development initiatives, including fundraising and program design for the creation of a regional clean technology innovation network. During law school, he was a senior staff editor for the New York University Environmental Law Journal.
Josh has represented issuers and investors in angel, venture capital and growth capital financing representing an aggregate of over $500 million in investments in emerging growth companies