Jason J. Cabral
Jason Cabral is a partner in Nutter’s Corporate and Transactions Department and a member of the firm’s Banking and Financial Services group. Jay’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, and bank regulatory, supervisory, and enforcement matters involving financial institutions. He also advises clients on corporate governance and other general corporate and strategic matters. He serves as the advisor to the chair of the Milken Institute’s Fintech Advisory Committee and as a member of the Massachusetts Securities Division Fintech Working Group.
Jay’s bank regulatory practice includes the representation of clients before federal and state bank regulatory agencies. He advises clients on a wide range of policy, regulatory, governance, and other matters, including financial reform, activities, investments, applications, new products, corporate restructurings, affiliate and insider transactions, management interlocks, regulatory reporting, and third-party vendor risk management. He regularly represents clients in data processing, software, and third-party vendor contract negotiations.
He frequently advises financial technology companies (Fintechs) in connection with their activities and bank partnerships and the application of federal and state banking and consumer protection laws and regulations to those activities and partnerships. He also advises Fintechs on the range of regulatory options available to them, including state and federal licensing, bank charters, and various charter options currently available or under development in the United States.
Prior to joining Nutter, Jay was special counsel in the Financial Services Group at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP in New York, where he counseled leading U.S. and non-U.S. banks, asset managers, private equity funds, Fintechs, trade associations, and other financial services companies for more than 10 years.
Jay earned his J.D., summa cum laude, from Quinnipiac University School of Law, where he served as Note and Casenote Editor for the Quinnipiac Law Review and was a Dean’s Scholar. He received his B.S., magna cum laude, from Ohio University.
- Sandler O’Neill & Partners, L.P. and U.S. Bancorp Investments, Inc.
Nutter represented Sandler O’Neill & Partners, L.P. and U.S. Bancorp Investments, Inc., the placement agents for Independent Bank Corp. (NASDAQ: INDB), the bank holding company of Rockland Trust Company, in connection with Independent’s private placement of $50 million of fixed-to-floating rate subordinated notes due 2029.
- PeoplesBancorp, MHC
Nutter represented PeoplesBancorp, MHC, the holding company for PeoplesBank, in the private placement of $40 million in fixed-to-floating rate subordinated notes due 2028.
- Hometown Financial Group Inc.
Nutter represented Hometown Financial Group, Inc., the bank holding company of bankESB (Easthampton, MA) and bankHometown (Oxford, MA), in connection with its acquisition of Pilgrim Bank, a Massachusetts-chartered co-operative bank headquartered in Cohasset, MA, and its bank holding company, Pilgrim Bancshares, Inc. (OTCMKTS: PLRM).
- PeoplesBancorp, MHC
Nutter represented PeoplesBancorp, MHC, a Massachusetts mutual holding company, and the bank holding company of PeoplesBank, a Massachusetts-chartered savings bank, both of Holyoke, Massachusetts, in connection with its acquisition of First Suffield Financial, Inc., a Connecticut corporation and the bank holding company of The First National Bank of Suffield, a national bank, both of Suffield, Connecticut. The total value of the transaction was approximately $60 million.
- MNB Bancorp
Nutter advised MNB Bancorp, the parent company of The Milford National Bank and Trust Company, a national bank, both of Milford, Massachusetts, in its acquisition by Independent Bank Corp. (NASDAQ Global Select Market: INDB). Independent is the parent company of Rockland Trust Company. The total value of the transaction was approximately $54 million.
News & Insights
- 03.04.2019 | Announcement
- 07.27.2018 | Press Release
- 07.17.2018 | Press Release
- 06.11.2018 | Press Release
- 05.30.2018 | Press Release
- Nutter Represents MNB Bancorp in Proposed Merger with Independent Bank Corp., Reports American Banker05.30.2018 | Press Release
- 04.13.2018 | Media Coverage
- 03.12.2018 | Press Release
- 05.03.2019 | Legal Update
- 05.01.2019 | Legal Update
- 04.30.2019 | Legal Update
- 04.19.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: The Clearing House Announces Adoption of Business Principles for Operation of the RTP® Network04.10.2019 | Legal Update
- 04.02.2019 | Legal Update
- 03.28.2019 | Legal Update
- 03.27.2019 | Legal Update
- Writing for Banker & Tradesman, Tom Curry, Jay Cabral, and Dan Hartman Analyze the Current Status of Fintech Regulation03.26.2019 | Article
- 02.28.2019 | Legal Update
- 02.19.2019 | Legal Update
- 02.13.2019 | Legal Update
- 01.31.2019 | Legal Update
- 01.30.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Ranking Member McHenry Calls for House Financial Services Committee Hearing on Financial Innovation01.24.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Chairwoman Waters Outlines House Financial Services Committee’s Agenda: Priorities Include Financial Innovation01.22.2019 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Issues to Consider in Connection with the CFPB’s Proposed Product Sandbox and Policy Changes for No-Action Letters01.08.2019 | Legal Update
- 12.21.2018 | Legal Update
- 12.20.2018 | Legal Update
- Fintech in Brief: Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection Proposes Product Sandbox and Policy Changes for No-Action Letters12.17.2018 | Legal Update
- 12.04.2018 | Insights
- 11.30.2018 | Legal Update
- 10.31.2018 | Legal Update
- Writing for American Banker, Tom Curry and Jay Cabral Analyze How Regulators Can Encourage Fintech Innovation10.15.2018 | Article
- 09.28.2018 | Legal Update
- Writing for American Banker, Tom Curry and Jay Cabral Outline the Importance of the OCC’s Fintech Charter09.25.2018 | Article
- 08.30.2018 | Legal Update
- 07.31.2018 | Legal Update
- 06.29.2018 | Legal Update
- 05.31.2018 | Legal Update
- 04.27.2018 | Legal Update
- 03.29.2018 | Legal Update
Education & Admissions
Quinnipiac University School of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
Ohio University, B.S., magna cum laude
- New York
Prior to joining Nutter, Jay was special counsel in the Financial Services Group at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP in New York, where he counseled leading U.S. and non-U.S. banks, asset managers, private equity funds, Fintechs, trade associations and other financial services companies for more than 10 years.