Gabriel I. Rossman
Gabriel Rossman is an associate in Nutter’s Litigation Department. Gabe guides clients through all stages of complex litigation matters before state and federal courts, from case assessment and initial fact investigation through summary judgment, case presentation, and appeal. Gabe’s primary areas of focus include business and commercial litigation, real estate litigation, intellectual property litigation, and employment litigation. He has represented clients in a wide range of industries, including consumer products, banking and financial services, real estate, life sciences, insurance, food and beverage, education, health care, manufacturing, mortgage, pharmaceuticals, and retail. Gabe also has extensive experience in breach of fiduciary duty matters, securities litigation, and internal and government investigations.
Notable Experience and Client Impact
- Represented secured lender in appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit (co-authored appellate brief).
- Represented trustees of realty trust in post-judgment phase of breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract action; obtained favorable post-judgment relief, including a $180,000 increase in the overall damages owed to trustees (co-authored successful post-judgment briefing).
- Represented regional bank in misappropriation of trade secret and breach of restrictive covenant litigation against former employee (co-authored complaint; achieved favorable preliminary injunction).
- Represented real estate developers in litigation challenging affordable-housing development.
- Represented software company in breach of contract and copyright infringement litigation.
- Represented international luxury restaurant chain in professional malpractice litigation.
- Represented several regional and national businesses in data breach matters.
- Represented the independent directors of a publicly traded commercial mortgage REIT in a confidential, binding arbitration relating to the termination of REIT’s external manager and internalization of its management function.
- Represented several publicly traded companies in securities litigation before various federal courts and breach of fiduciary duty litigation in the Delaware Chancery Court.
- Represented publicly traded software company in appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Co-Chair of the American Bar Association’s Business Torts and Unfair Competition Fiduciary Duty subcommittee
- Co-Chair of the American Bar Association’s Commercial and Business Litigation Class Actions subcommittee
Pro Bono Leadership
Gabe received Nutter’s 2021 Pro Publica award for his significant pro bono efforts. He currently represents three siblings who fled persecution and abuse in their native country in immigration proceedings. Gabe recently represented an indigent tenant facing wrongful eviction, securing a favorable settlement for his client.
Before coming to Nutter, Gabe worked on several significant pro bono matters, including a challenge to ICE’s practice of conducting civil immigration arrests in and around courthouses in the Commonwealth; an immigration appeal before the Supreme Court of the United States; and the representation of multiple clients who had been wrongfully convicted of first-degree murder, including in a cert. petition to the Supreme Court of the United States.
After law school, Gabe served as a law clerk for the Hon. Eric L. Clay of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and for the Hon. Kim R. Gibson of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Other Legal Experience
Before joining Nutter, Gabe was a litigation associate at Goodwin Procter LLP.
During law school, Gabe served as an Articles Editor of The Chicago Journal of International Law. He also represented wrongfully convicted clients as a member of the Exoneration Project clinic.
- Eastern Bankshares, Inc.
Nutter served as legal counsel to Eastern Bankshares, Inc. (Nasdaq Global Select Market: EBC), the stock holding company for Eastern Bank, in connection with its acquisition of Century Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: CNBKA), the stock holding company for Century Bank and Trust Company, in a transaction valued at approximately $642 million.
News & Insights
- | Announcement
- Nutter Represents Eastern Bankshares, Inc. in Pending $642 Million Merger With Century Bancorp, Inc.| Press Release
Education & Admissions
University of Chicago Law School, J.D., with honors
Wesleyan University, B.A., with honors and Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Gabe served as a law clerk for the Hon. Eric L. Clay in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Previously, he clerked for the Hon. Kim R. Gibson in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
Gabe received Nutter’s 2021 Pro Publica award for his significant pro bono efforts.