Michael D. Zabowsky
Michael D. Zabowsky is a partner in Nutter's Real Estate Department. He has extensive experience in real estate transactions both locally and nationally. Financial institutions, institutional property owners, developers, landlords, tenants, REITs, limited liability companies, limited partnerships and corporations rely on Mike's counsel to handle their complex real estate transactions, including financings, leasing transactions, acquisitions, dispositions, and workouts. His projects include downtown office buildings, suburban office buildings and office parks, shopping centers, mixed-use developments, retail complexes, warehouse and industrial buildings, and residential properties.
Notable Experience and Client Impact
- Representing a multi-national bank on over $262 million in permanent financings since 2014 for Class-A office properties in Arlington, VA, Palm Beach, FL, Baltimore, MD, Herndon, VA, and Valley Forge, PA
- Representing an institutional REIT since 2005 on the leasing of its New England office portfolio, including a 140,100 square foot lease to a well-known U.S. retail and technology company for research and development space in Kendall Square in Cambridge, MA, and a 142,673 square foot lease to a global technology company for its global headquarters in Bedford, MA
- Representing several well-known national and foreign institutional landlords in the leasing of their downtown Boston and suburban office, retail and industrial properties
- Representing a Boston-based publicly-traded national REIT on the sale of four Boston area properties totaling $121.5 million since 2013
- Representing a national bank on a $65 million construction loan for a dual-branded hotel in downtown Chicago
- Representing a regional bank on a $45 million permanent loan for a Class-A office building in Kendall Square in Cambridge, MA and a $30 million construction loan for a 210 unit Class-A multifamily apartment project on the North Shore of Boston
- Representing a Boston-based private equity fund on the $88 million sale of a trophy office tower in downtown San Francisco, CA and over 1.2 million square feet of leases for its suburban Boston, MA, Dallas, TX and Houston, TX warehouse and industrial properties
- Representing a joint venture on the $77 million financing for its acquisition of a well-known 1.2 million square foot office complex in suburban Boston
- Assisting with the representation of a multi-national bank as lead lender on $282 million in construction and permanent financings of a mixed-use hotel, office, retail and residential project in the “NoMa” section of Washington, DC
- Assisting with the representation of a group of life insurance companies and regional banks on a $198 million and a $145 million construction and permanent financing of two mixed-use medical, retail and residential commercial condominium projects in the Fenway neighborhood of Boston
- Assisting with the representation of a group of life insurance companies and pension funds on a $280 million construction and permanent financing for the redevelopment of Charles River Plaza, a mixed-use laboratory, medical and retail project in downtown Boston
- Representing a multi-national bank on a $185 million unsecured line of credit to a New York real estate fund relating to properties in nine states
A leader in the real estate industry, Mike co-chairs the Urban Land Institute’s (ULI) Boston Market Council, he is a member of the Board of Directors of the Real Estate Finance Association (REFA) of the Greater Boston Real Estate Board (GBREB), and is a member of several professional organizations, including the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP) and the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce. Mike is also a contributing author of a chapter of Massachusetts Mortgages, Foreclosures and Workouts published by Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) and an invitee and participating member of the Advanced Commercial Leasing Institute at the Georgetown Law Center.
News & Insights
- Firm ranks as leader in Banking & Finance; Real Estate; Litigation; Environment; and Labor & Employment, 05.19.2015
- October 2013
- October 2012
- Nutter partners host ULI Boston Market Council Breakfast Meeting “The Downtown Class B Market Takes Off”06.19.2013
- Chambers and Partners, Leading U.S. Real Estate Attorney, 2010-2017
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2006-2007, 2009 & 2011-2014
- Chambers and Partners, Leading U.S. Real Estate Associate to Watch,
Education & Admissions
Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude
University of Vermont, B.A.
A leader in the real estate industry, Mike co-chairs the Urban Land Institute’s (ULI) Boston Market Council and he is a member of the Board of Directors of the Real Estate Finance Association (REFA).
Chambers and Partners, Leading U.S. Real Estate Attorney, 2010-2017
Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2006-2007, 2009 & 2011-2014
Chambers and Partners, Leading U.S. Real Estate Associate to Watch,