Matthew J. Gaughan
Matthew J. Gaughan is a partner in Nutter's Real Estate Department and is a member of the firm's Commercial and Real Estate Finance practice group. He has extensive experience advising clients in complex real estate transactions, both locally and nationally. Matt represents financial institutions, landowners, developers, landlords, tenants and other public and private entities in various types of real estate projects, and primarily handles financings, acquisitions, dispositions and leasing transactions. His practice involves, among other things, mixed-use developments, downtown office buildings, suburban office parks, commercial and residential condominiums, assisted living facilities, industrial properties, hotels, and retail complexes.
His representative transactions include:
- the representation of a consortium of banks and life insurance companies on a $200 million construction/permanent financing for a mixed-use residential and retail project within a commercial condominium in the Fenway section of Boston;
- the representation of a life insurance company on six portfolio loans ranging in amount from $63-$120 million, secured by industrial properties located throughout the United States;
- the representation of a medical device company in the $55 million sale-leaseback of its corporate headquarters in Massachusetts;
- the representation of a developer in the acquisition and financing of a mixed-use building on Stuart Street in Boston; and
- the representation of a bank on a $72 million sale of sixteen assets (eleven loans and five REO assets in nine states) and a $54 million loan in connection with the same.
Matt is a member in the Real Estate Finance Association and the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties, and is also actively involved in the Boston chapter of the American Ireland Fund.
- Tedeschi acquisition by 7-Eleven
Negotiated the sale of Tedeschi Food Shops, Inc., a family-owned business, to 7-Eleven Inc., a major, complex transaction for a long-time Nutter client, resulting in Tedeschi’s 181 markets in Massachusetts and New Hampshire becoming part of 7-Eleven’s chain of 10,500 stores in North America.
News & Insights
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2007
Education & Admissions
University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., with honors
Davidson College, B.A.
Matt represented a consortium of banks and life insurance companies on a $200 million construction/permanent financing for a mixed-use residential and retail project within a commercial condominium in the Fenway section of Boston.
Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2007