Matthew J. Connolly
Matthew Connolly is a senior associate in Nutter’s Litigation Department. Individuals and companies rely on Matt for a variety of litigation matters, especially in complex business disputes, regulatory proceedings, and white collar defense and investigations. A wide range of clients, from individuals and small businesses to some of the largest companies and banks in the United States, frequently select Matt to represent them in federal and state courts, and before multiple agencies, including the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ).
In particular, Matt has extensive experience representing energy companies and traders in enforcement and compliance matters, including a matter that resulted in the largest public settlement in FERC’s history. He currently represents an entrepreneurial energy trading firm and an individual trader before FERC regarding market manipulation charges in the California wholesale electricity market. Major financial institutions in complex market manipulation cases have depended on Matt’s legal advice to achieve successful outcomes.
In the U.S. News & World Report / Best Lawyers survey of “2017 Best Law Firms,” a client described Matt as “an example of what a really good attorney should be. He is always responsive and on top of issues, tasks, and timelines. Matthew is not only able to understand and then explain in a clear and precise language complex technical concepts we deal with in our engagement, but he is also able to shed a new light on the technical and procedural matters we have at hand.”
Notable Experience and Client Impact
- Energy traders and companies in several enforcement and compliance matters before FERC;
- Several companies and financial institutions in non-public and internal investigations involving complex regulatory, accounting, and reporting procedures;
- A company president and mutual fund manager in civil and criminal proceedings regarding allegations of securities fraud;
- A multi-billion dollar company in a federal jury trial regarding an overtime compensation dispute under the Fair Labor Standards Act;
- Executives of a major pharmaceutical company in DOJ and SEC investigations, and a shareholder derivative suit;
- Achieved a successful seven-figure verdict in a breach of contract dispute and fraud allegations involving the sale of a national company based in New Hampshire;
- The former general manager of an office supply company involving fraud allegations;
- A major financial services and insurance company regarding allegations of unfair competition, tortious interference, and misappropriation of trade secrets; and
- Two Massachusetts communities in appeals of their EPA discharge permits issued under the Clean Water Act.
Matt continues his leadership outside of the firm as a member of the American Bar Association, Boston Bar Association, and Energy Bar Association. He is a member of the 2016-17 class of the Boston Bar Association’s Public Interest Leadership Program, which promotes civic engagement and public service by advancing the leadership role of lawyers in service to their communities. He also serves as a board member of St. Mary’s Court Housing Development Corporation and is the former vice chairman of the DC Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2F (Logan Circle).
Prior to joining Nutter, Matt served as the interim chief legal counsel and senior policy advisor at the Office of the State Senate Minority Leader in Boston. Prior to that, he spent a number of years as a litigator in the Washington, DC office of an international law firm.
During law school, Matt served as a senior articles editor of the Northwestern University Law Review and president of the Student Funded Public Interest Fellowships Program. He was also a quarterfinalist in the Julius H. Miner Moot Court Competition.
Matt enjoys participating in Massachusetts politics. He regularly advises candidates on political and legal issues for federal, state, and local campaigns.
News & Insights
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly Reports on Brief Submitted by Ian Roffman and Matt Connolly Regarding Duties of Directors in Corporate Mergers03.07.2017
- 05.19.2017 | Article
- FERC Enforcement Actions After Chairman’s Abrupt Exit and Lack of Quorum: Insights from Nutter’s Matt Connolly02.06.2017 | Legal Update
- FERC Investigations: Uncertainty Rules as More Entities Challenge in Federal Court: Insights from Nutter’s Matt Connolly10.20.2016 | Legal Update
- Mass. Lawyers Weekly Excellence in the Law, Up & Coming Lawyer Honoree, 2017
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2016
- Washington DC Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2014
Education & Admissions
Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif
Georgetown University, B.A.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- District of Columbia
What They Say
In the U.S. News & World Report / Best Lawyers survey of “2017 Best Law Firms,” a client described Matt as “an example of what a really good attorney should be. He is always responsive and on top of issues, tasks, and timelines.”
Mass. Lawyers Weekly Excellence in the Law, Up & Coming Lawyer Honoree, 2017
Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2016
Washington DC Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2014