Our IP practice group handles all types of trademark, copyright and trade secret matters for our clients.
Effective trademark development, preservation, and protection strategies help to distinguish a company, and its products and services, from competitors. Our attorneys can:
- Evaluate corporate trademark policies and educate clients on the proper use of trademarks;
- Create and implement programs to identify and develop valuable trademarks;
- Conduct searches to evaluate the strength and registrability of potential marks;
- Prepare, file, and prosecute trademark applications in the PTO and similar agencies worldwide;
- Negotiate and draft licensing agreements for obtaining revenue from trademarks;
- Advise and counsel clients regarding trade dress and design issues;
- Enforce trademark and trade dress rights and defend against assertions of infringement; and
- Advise and represent clients in infringement actions and other forms of litigation before federal courts and administrative agencies, including the PTO and certain foreign forums.
Our attorneys also have extensive experience in inter partes and other adversarial trademark matters, including opposition and cancellation proceedings. Work on these matters can beneficially combine the skills of our trademark lawyers (with their deep familiarity with administrative procedures that are unique to intellectual property) and those of our litigators, who bring to bear considerable experience in substantive trademark law, administrative procedure and the litigation process, including discovery, trial and appeal, and alternative dispute resolution, when appropriate.
In order to help clients exploit copyrights, both domestically and internationally, we can:
- Advise on compliance with Copyright Office practices and procedures;
- Monitor and enforce their copyrights;
- Negotiate licenses necessary to their growth and success;
- Adapt and apply copyright protections in Cyberspace;
- Defend copyrights in court;
- Identify and manage the tax consequences of transactions involving copyrights; and
- Advising and representing clients in litigation regarding copyrights.
Trade Secrets Work
We advise and educate clients on strategies for preserving and protecting confidential and proprietary information, including trade secrets and technological knowledge, by:
- Evaluating existing trade secrets policies and employee agreements;
- Preparing and implementing trade secret protection policies;
- Drafting confidentiality agreements and employment agreements to protect trade secrets;
- Pursuing litigation strategies addressing trade secret issues; and
- Advising and representing clients in litigation in state and federal courts.