Timothy M. Smith is a senior partner in Nutter's Real Estate and Finance Department. Both public and private companies rely on Tim’s 30 years of experience in real estate acquisition, disposition, leasing, joint venture, and financing transactions. Tim represents clients in land use and permitting matters, including subdivision, environmental, wetlands, and zoning issues.
Institutional owners and corporate tenants engage Tim to represent them in leases of office space (including headquarters leases), manufacturing facilities, warehouse space and industrial/research, and development buildings. Institutional landlords utilize Tim’s expertise in retail leases of shopping centers, life style centers, enclosed malls, and mixed use buildings.
Representative Client Transactions
- Novaya Real Estate Ventures and Wheelock Street Capital in acquisition of 14-building portfolio and related financing, leasing, and disposition of individual buildings
- Invesco Real Estate on all leasing and property management matters for (i) 55 Cambridge Parkway, Cambridge, MA (office), and (ii) One Liberty Wharf, Boston, MA (retail and office)
- Boston Scientific Corporation on a national basis on acquisition, disposition, leasing (tenant and landlord), and building management matters for headquarters, office, laboratory, and warehouse space, including recent disposition of headquarters complex in Natick, MA
- PerkinElmer on a national basis on all acquisition, disposition, leasing (tenant and landlord), and building management matters for headquarters, office, laboratory, and warehouse space
- Curo Properties in acquisition and leasing of Westford Corporate Center
- DivcoWest on all leasing and property management matters at the over 700,000 SF One Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA office, laboratory and retail complex
- Oxford Properties Group on all leasing and property management matters for 125 Summer Street, Boston, MA
- Normandy Real Estate Partners on leasing of various assets including Marlborough Technology Park
- Various institutional landlords (including Heitman, Invesco Realty, and DivcoWest) in retail leasing and management matters in enclosed malls, life style shopping centers, grocery anchored shopping centers, power centers, and mixed use projects with retail components
- Fresenius Medical Care on a national basis on major lease (tenant) transactions for headquarters, office, and warehouse space, including recent major lease transactions for buildings in Waltham, MA, Rockleigh, NJ and Nashville, TN
Tim continues his leadership outside the firm as an active member of the Massachusetts Chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP), the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC), and the Boston College Alumni Association. He speaks and writes frequently on real estate issues for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE), Lorman Education Services, and Continuing Legal Education. He is the author of Commercial Lease Forms published in 2004 by Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (“MCLE”). He also authored a chapter of Lease Drafting in Massachusetts published by MCLE.
Tim is a 1987 graduate of Boston College Law School, where he was a note editor of The Boston College Law Review. While obtaining his undergraduate business degree in both Finance and Marketing in 1984 from Boston College, he was elected to the Beta Gamma Sigma and Alpha Sigma Nu honor societies.