Timothy M. Smith is a senior partner in the firm's Real Estate and Finance Department. Having started his legal career with Nutter in 1987, he has extensive real estate experience in a wide variety of real estate transactions including purchase and sale, leasing, financing, development, land use/permitting and environmental matters.
Tim represents various clients in the purchase, sale, financing and development of real estate, including Invesco Real Estate, DivcoWest, Normandy Real Estate Partners, Oxford Properties Group, UBS Realty, Boston Scientific Corporation, PerkinElmer, Inc., Fresenius Medical Care, Heitman Capital Management, LLC, Taurus Real Estate Holdings, Boston Realty Investments and Novaya Real Estate Ventures.
In the leasing area, Tim represents institutional owners and corporate tenants in leases of office space (including downtown and suburban locations), headquarters leases, manufacturing facilities, warehouse space and industrial/research and development buildings. Tim also represents landlords and tenants in leases for retail space in shopping centers, life style centers, enclosed malls and mixed use buildings. Some of his leasing clients include Invesco Real Estate, DivcoWest, Normandy Real Estate Partners, Oxford Properties Group, UBS Realty, Boston Scientific, PerkinElmer, Fresenius Medical Care, Heitman Capital Management, LLC and Taurus Real Estate Holdings and UBS Realty.
Tim also has significant experience in real estate acquisition, disposition, joint venture and financing transactions on behalf of developers, owners and lenders. He represents clients in land use and permitting matters, including subdivision, environmental, wetlands and zoning issues.
Tim’s representative work includes:
- Represent DivcoWest on all leasing and property management matters at the over 700,000 SF One Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA office, laboratory and retail complex.
- Represent Invesco Realty on all leasing and property management matters for (i) 55 Cambridge Parkway, Cambridge, MA (office) and (ii) One Liberty Wharf, Boston, MA (retail and office).
- Represent Boston Scientific Corporation on a national basis on acquisition, disposition, leasing (tenant and landlord) and building management matters for headquarters, office, laboratory and warehouse space, including recent disposition of headquarters complex in Natick, MA.
- Represent PerkinElmer on a national basis on all acquisition, disposition, leasing (tenant and landlord) and building management matters for headquarters, office, laboratory and warehouse space.
- Represent Oxford Properties Group on all leasing and property management matters for 125 Summer Street, Boston, MA.
- Represent various institutional landlords (including Heitman, Invesco Realty and DivcoWest) in retail leasing and management matters in enclosed malls, life style shopping centers, grocery anchored shopping centers, power centers and mixed use projects with retail components (e.g., Shops of Saddle Creek – Germantown, Tennessee; Colonie Center Mall – Albany, New York; Crossings at Fox Run – Newington, New Hampshire; Miracle Marketplace – Coral Gables, Florida; and One Kendall Square – Cambridge, Massachusetts).
- Represent Heitman Capital on all leasing and property management matters for 260 Franklin Street, Boston, MA (office and retail space).
- Represent DivcoWest on all leasing and property management matters (office/retail space) at 300A Congress Street, 313 Congress Street, 330 Congress Street, Boston, MA, The Davenport Building (Cambridge, MA) and Prospect Hill, Waltham, MA (3 building complex).
- Represent Fresenius Medical Care on a national basis on major lease (tenant) transactions for headquarters, office and warehouse space, including recent major lease transactions for buildings in Rockleigh, New Jersey and Nashville, Tennessee.
- Represented Invesco Realty on all leasing and property management matters for One Liberty Square, Boston, MA (office/retail space).
- Represented landlord in negotiation of 300,000 square foot lease transaction with Verizon New England at Cross Point in Lowell, MA, including phasing in of four separate blocks of landlord-constructed and improved space.
- Represented Boston Realty Investments on a national basis on various build-to-suit lease transactions for Verizon Wireless call centers.
A member of the Boston Bar Association (BBA), Tim is a member of the Leasing Committee of the Real Estate Section. He speaks and writes frequently on real estate issues for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (MCLE), Lorman Education Services, and Continuing Legal Education. He is a former chairman of the Massachusetts Bar Association (MBA) Landlord Tenant Committee, and a former member of the MBA Property Law Council.
Tim is an active member of the Massachusetts Chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP), the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) and the Boston College Alumni Association.
Tim is the author of Commercial Lease Forms published in 2004 by Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (“MCLE”). He also authored a chapter of Lease Drafting in Massachusetts published by MCLE.
Tim consistently receives the highest quality and ethical ranking for attorneys by Martindale Hubbell. He was selected for The Best Lawyers in America, 2008-2016. Tim was also selected for Massachusetts Super Lawyers in the 2004-2015 issues of Boston magazine.
Tim is a 1987 graduate of Boston College Law School, where he was a note editor of The Boston College Law Review. While obtaining his undergraduate business degree in both Finance and Marketing in 1984 from Boston College, he was elected to the Beta Gamma Sigma and Alpha Sigma Nu honor societies.