Why Nutter for Private Equity Work
Our corporate lawyers are experienced counsel to founders, principals and investors in private equity funds and hedge funds, as well as companies engaged in major transactions with those funds such as mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, roll-ups, exchanges of securities and other deals common to private equity investment.
We are well acquainted with the private equity community, and we understand its culture. We know the importance of maintaining working relationships among our clients and the professional providers they must work with to make their investments successful, and we know what it takes to make a deal work.
But clients come to us for more than our experience. They choose Nutter because we provide them with:
Superior Personalized Service: Nutter provides clients of all sizes with partner level attention on every project, which yields greater efficiency and value. We also have an internal, cultural commitment to providing superior, responsive service. We understand that speed is critical in commerce and in private equity transactions in particular.
Honest Advice: We care a lot about our clients. Thus, we will candidly tell a client that a deal does not make sense or puts them in jeopardy, even when we stand to gain by doing the legal work. Clients are paying for our best, independent judgment and that is what they get.
A Pragmatic Approach to Providing Value: Our lawyers focus on delivering value for the investment made in our team. They do not over-lawyer or create extra work, but instead follow a lean, “right-size” staffing model which, with our consistent partner level attention, creates efficiency and controls costs for the client. Our unleveraged partner to associate ratio also results in excellent associate training and satisfaction (as ranked in nationwide surveys) which means that clients do not have a revolving door of associate lawyers assigned to their accounts.
No Surprises: Clients who have worked with Nutter for a while will tell you that they rely on our advice, our clear and timely communication, our budget forecasts, and the accuracy and integrity of our billing.
Many of the business lawyers at Nutter hold graduate degrees in technical fields and have worked in technology industries. We can often provide a client with a lawyer who understands the theory and practices of biochemistry, chemistry, electronics, mechanical systems, polymer engineering, molecular pharmacology, physics or other technical disciplines pertinent to the client’s industry or private equity transaction.
Our team of business and general corporate lawyers also includes:
- Attorneys with specific experience in venture capital work;
- Lawyers who have been named to the peer-reviewed “Best Lawyers in America”;
- Lawyers named as Massachusetts Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” by Boston Magazine;
- Lawyers listed as “leaders in their field” by Chambers USA; and
- Numerous lawyers who have published authoritative pieces on corporate legal practice, and served as panelists or presenters at continuing legal education programs for the bar.
In addition, our firm has been listed:
- Among the ranked firms nationwide for banking and finance in the Chambers USA survey; and
- As a top tier Boston law firm in banking and finance by U.S. News & World Report.
For clients in technology industries, we also offer the resources provided by TechLaw Group, Inc., an international network of law firms whose clients are among the world’s technology leaders.
Who We Represent
We represent individual entrepreneurs and owners, investors, partnerships, joint ventures and corporations, as well as the private equity firms with whom they are engaged in buy-outs, capital raising or other transactions.
Our work with these clients has involved many different industries, including those centered on or related to:
- Biotechnology and life sciences;
- Clean technologies;
- Computer hardware and software;
- Consumer products;
- E-commerce and the Internet;
- Food and beverages;
- Health care and medical devices;
- Mobile technology and telecommunications;
- New media;
- Real estate and development; and
What We Do
Nutter’s private equity practice is an interdisciplinary practice that provides clients with a wide variety of essential legal services pertinent to private equity transactions and the tasks that often flow from such deals. Our service teams bring to clients a collaborative approach and broad training in multiple disciplines that enables them to develop full-picture strategies that account for all the factors present in any business.
Furthermore, our mission and focus is to provide value and results by utilizing the best processes and most creative thinking possible when delivering our services.
These services include strategic counseling, negotiation, drafting, and other important tasks related to:
- Bond or debt financing;
- Distribution and licensing arrangements;
- Employment agreements and employment-related issues;
- Equity compensation;
- Exit strategy formulation and execution;
- Financing strategies and relationships;
- Information technology issues;
- Initial public offerings;
- Mergers and acquisitions;
- Patent and trademark strategy and prosecution;
- Private equity transactions;
- Private placements;
- Supply agreements;
- Tax strategy;
- The optimal structuring and strategies for private equity funds, hedge funds and other closed-end investment funds; and
- Transactions related to or flowing from private equity investments, such as acquisitions, asset sales, stock purchases, leverage buyouts, roll-ups consolidating acquisitions within one industry, going private transactions, exchanges of securities, and Private Investment Public Equity deals (“PIPEs”) involving, among other things, private placements with subsequent registration rights.