Boston, MA – Lawyers at Nutter counseled clients on a broad portfolio of significant deals in 2016, including transactions that helped to re-shape Boston’s dynamic real estate market and advance growth in its innovation economy and life sciences sector. These transactions involve a range of industries including banking and financial services, real estate, technology, and manufacturing.
Highlights of Nutter’s 2016 transactions include:
- Represented the full service real estate firm Related Beal on a range of complex issues involving Parcel 1B, a development project which includes the first large-scale 100 percent affordable and workforce housing development in downtown Boston in the past 25 years as well as a 220-room hotel, ground floor retail space, and parking; the groundbreaking ceremony was held in February 2016. Work included air rights leasing, title, acquisition, zoning, and environmental matters as well as state and City of Boston entitlements, real estate tax stabilization, and hotel financing.
- Represented CIRCOR International, Inc. (NYSE: CIR), a leading provider of valves and other highly engineered products for markets including oil & gas, power generation and aerospace & defense, in its acquisition of Critical Flow Solutions for $210 million.
- Advised Lallemand USA, Inc., a U.S. subsidiary of the global yeast manufacturing company, in its acquisition of 100% of the equity of USA Yeast Company, LLC, a yeast manufacturing plant and business based in Mississippi.
- Represent North Middlesex Savings Bank in its pending merger with Marlborough Savings Bank.
- Represented one of the largest banks in the United States in warehouse facilities to a dozen of the largest Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and FHA licensed mortgage lenders and low-income housing tax credit syndicators, with total commitments in excess of $2 billion.
- Advised Northeast Retirement Services, Inc., a leading provider of plan accounting, transfer agency, fund administration, trust and retirement plan services, in its pending acquisition by Community Bank System, Inc. (NYSE: CBU), a transaction valued at approximately $140 million.
- Represented Delaware North, one of the largest privately held global hospitality and food service companies in the world, when it expanded its portfolio of resorts into Massachusetts by acquiring the Sea Crest Beach Hotel on Cape Cod.
- Represented MassMutual Asset Finance in the equipment finance syndications market in acquisition transactions in excess of $1 billion.
- Represented Ekso Bionics Holdings, Inc., a global robotic exoskeleton company, in its $15 million public offering of common stock and related listing on the Nasdaq Capital Market.
- Represented Bank of New Hampshire in its acquisition of Community Guaranty Savings Bank.
- Represented Collaborative Consulting, LLC in its acquisition by CGI Group Inc. (NYSE: GIB) (TSX: GIB.A), a leading provider of information technology and business processing services, through its wholly-owned U.S. subsidiary, CGI Technologies and Solutions Inc.
- Advised Madico, Inc., one of the world’s leading manufacturers of automotive, solar, safety, and security films, in its acquisition of select assets of ClearPlex Corporation, an established supplier of protection films based in Draper, Utah.
- Represented Fidelity Bank in its merger with Barre Savings Bank.
- Represented ESB Bancorp MHC in its merger with Hometown Community Bancorp MHC.
- Advised the owner and developer of a downtown Boston property in the financing of a new 12-story residential and commercial condominium project, known as The Boulevard, in the negotiation of senior mortgage financing as well as a preferred equity investment by the developer’s partner, a national investment management firm. The project is designed to contain 31 market-rate units, five artists’ units, a retail unit, and a garage, and includes elements of a historic Bulfinch building.
- Advised Long Term Solutions, Inc. (LTS), a provider of in-home nursing assessments for the long-term care insurance industry, in its sale to Almost Family, Inc. (NASDAQ: AFAM). Based in Natick, Mass., LTS provides a suite of planning and support services to insurance companies, employers and direct to individuals and families throughout the United States.
- Represented McCarthy Capital, a private equity investment firm, when it partnered with Bamboo Rose, a provider of the digital B2B Marketplace for retailers, to continue its expansion.
- Represented Netra, Inc., a leader in visual intelligence and search, when it closed $1.85 million in Series Seed financing led by Launchpad Venture Group and NXT Ventures with participation from Zelkova Ventures, Mark Cuban, Berwind LLC, and other prominent angels.
- Advised LINTEC USA Holding, Inc., a wholly owned U.S. subsidiary of Japan-based LINTEC Corporation (TYO: 7966), in its acquisition of VDI, LLC, a functional film manufacturer headquartered in Kentucky.
- Represented Congregation Mishkan Tefila (CMT) in two related transactions: (1) the sale of CMT’s land and buildings in Chestnut Hill to nearby Boston College, and (2) CMT’s relocation to the Brookline campus of Congregation Kehillath Israel (CKI), including the negotiation of a unique, complicated co-location agreement with CKI addressing multiple real estate, operational, and programmatic issues.
In addition to a robust transactional year, Nutter launched a new brand that reflects the firm’s bold vision for the future. The tagline, uncommon law, captures the essence of Nutter: legal service and expertise that is grounded in excellence and highly customized to each client’s unique context, based on a values-driven, personalized approach that puts clients and their success first.
# # #
Nutter is a top-tier, Boston-based law firm that provides legal counsel to industry-leading companies, early stage entrepreneurs, institutions, foundations, and families, across the country and around the world. The firm’s lawyers are known for their client-centric approach and extensive experience in business and finance, intellectual property, litigation, real estate and land use, labor and employment, tax, and trusts and estates. Co-founded in 1879 by Louis D. Brandeis, who later became a renowned justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, Nutter is dedicated to helping companies prosper in today’s fast-paced business environment. For more information, please visit www.nutter.com and follow us on Twitter at @NutterLaw.