Michael E. Scott chairs Nutter's Real Estate and Finance Department, is a member of the firm’s Land Use practice group, and serves on the firm’s Executive Committee. He works out of the firm’s Boston and Hyannis offices. Michael represents developers, corporate, institutional and municipal clients in all aspects of commercial development, acquisition, disposition and repositioning of assets. He has significant experience in matters involving zoning and land use, regulatory permitting and real estate development. He represents industrial, chemical and oil companies to create environmental remedial strategies for properties impacted by contaminants and help position such properties for productive reuse. Michael’s background includes extensive environmental litigation experience. He has acted as principal counsel on numerous multi-party complex cases.
Michael has represented clients involved in mixed-use projects, retail, hotels, multifamily housing, hospitals, senior housing, and marinas. He has particular experience in economic development projects and represents buyers and sellers of contaminated properties (brownfields). He provides counsel on issues involving corporate structure, economic development and tax-incentive programs, liability avoidance and the availability of financing, grants and insurance. Michael writes and speaks frequently on real estate development issues.
His recent and current matters include:
- Representing national grocery store chain with projects throughout New England
- Representing national retail center owner on the redevelopment of an underutilized life style center
- Lead counsel and Executive Board member of OpenCape, a fiber optic infrastructure entity, for the permitting and construction of a core fiber optic backbone network throughout Cape Cod and southeastern Massachusetts
- Lead counsel to a municipality for the permitting of the Commonwealth's largest landfill, including successfully defending decision to the Supreme Judicial Court
- Representing industrial, chemical and oil companies in the development of solutions to address environmental contamination
- Negotiated environmental insurance policy to fix price for environmental remediation of a former US Military base
- Represent industrial company in Southeastern US relative to state and federal Clean Water Act matter
- Permitted a microwave antenna network throughout Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and southeastern Massachusetts that included 14 towers
- Economic development project for a Fortune 500 company involving site acquisition, state and local economic incentive package, and development of a 350,000 sq. ft. distribution facility
- A 60+ acre ocean front mixed-use development on a former mill complex, which is one of the first projects approved under M.G.L. c.40R (the Smart Growth Zoning Act), allowing (as-of-right) 675 residential units and 600,000 sq. ft. of commercial space (hotel, office, retail and restaurants), in addition to a 300 slip marina
- A 50-acre 40B project with 272 units
- Leading the effort to master plan, rezone and redevelop a 300+ acre property into a mixed-use, smart growth development, which is expected to include housing, commercial development, and active and passive recreation
- Numerous solid waste matters, including landfill and transfer station site assignments and permitting