Dawn Curry is a partner in Nutter’s Litigation Department and a member of the firm’s Product Liability and Toxic Tort Litigation and Government Investigations and White Collar Defense practice groups. Medical device and pharmaceutical companies, as well as other businesses, rely on Dawn's technical expertise and experience in science, medicine, engineering and business related issues when facing complex commercial litigation, including mass tort litigation. Clients frequently engage Dawn to develop teams of experts in disciplines such as toxicology, pathology, immunology, orthopedic surgery, internal medicine, epidemiology and others, and prepare team members for deposition and trial testimony in these areas.
A sought after speaker, Dawn regularly publishes and speaks on panels related to product liability and white collar defense issues, as well as on e-discovery related issues.
Notable Experience and Client Impact
- Manufacturer of prosthetic hip implants in multi-district product liability litigation involving over 8,000 plaintiffs.
- Medical device company in a multi-district product liability litigation involving recalled device.
- Manufacturer of prosthetic spine implants in multi-district product liability litigation involving over 250 plaintiffs.
- Hospital in responding to subpoena by OIG and USAO alleging Stark and anti-kickback violations. Successfully persuaded USAO not to bring action.
- Former Controller in an SEC investigation alleging backdating of stock options. SEC decided not to recommend enforcement action against our client upon completion of its investigation.
- Large pharmaceutical company in a federal investigation involving allegations of off-label promotion.
- Individual scientific advisory board member against former employer in a breach of contract mediation, resulting in an award of $2 million, which was the full value of the shares that the client sought to enforce pursuant to the agreement.
- Major insurance company in a trademark infringement action.
- Product Liability: 2015 Year in Review (February 29, 2016)
- Product Liability: 2014 Year in Review (January 30, 2015)
- For the Defense publishes “What to Do When Your U.S. Mass Tort Goes International” by Dawn Curry and David Ferrera (September 2014)
- Product Liability: 2013 Year in Review (January 27, 2014)
- For the Defense publishes “Managing Physician-Company Conflict of Interest” by Dawn Curry and David Ferrera (August 23, 2011)
- New Federal Rule of Evidence 502 Seeks to Strengthen Attorney-Client Privilege and Work Product Protections (October 13, 2008)
- Co-authored They Are Coming for You: Dangers for Corporate Executives in the Expanding World of Financial Crime published by Aspatore Books (2004).
- Co-authored an article in the Boston Business Journal offering ten recommendations to safeguard directors from potential liability (2004).
- Moderated a panel at ACI’s Fraud and Abuse in the Sale and Marketing of Drugs conference on the topic of Steering Clear of Individual Accountability: What Does Reinvigorated Enforcement Mean for Responsible Corporate Officers and Counsel?
- Presented to the Massachusetts Biotechnology Council on the topic of Document Retention and e-Discovery for Life Sciences Companies.
- Panelist at ARMA/Simmons College/Sedona Conference’s E-Discovery Overview program.
- Panelist at the Massachusetts Banking Association’s Record Retention Workshop.
- Host of a CBI webinar on the topic of Electronic Record Retention: Legal Imperatives for Biotech, Pharmaceutical & Medical Device Companies.